noods' 26th rainbow cake

17 August 2009, 01:11

that’s right its psychedelic rainbow cake time! my previous rainbow cake for ffichiban was pretty fun to make but i didn’t have the pleasure of seeing the swirlies in person so decided to make the rainbow cake for noods

splitting the cake mixture into separate bowls. notice how the green and blue aren’t as vivid as the red and yellow? that’s because the green and blue gels i bought were cheap and crap. lesson learnt: while food colouring gels are way way better than the food colouring liquids there are different quality gels.

colour sequence! if you don’t plan on icing the top of your cake put blue batter on last because if you end with the red batter the cake just looks brown

bowls. spoons. empty.

cakeage with cream cheese buttercream icing and a penrith panthers edible sticker. i bought the sticker. surprisingly tasty.

CAKE INNARDS!!! look at the swirlies!

singular slice

heh noods’ shirt says ‘i dont want to grow up’ lol he wore it especially for today haha happy 26th love!

Other rainbow cakes I’ve made:
FFichiban’s Mario Mushroom Rainbow Cake
Helen’s 20 Layer Rainbow Cake

1. Psychedelic! Love the pics of the empty bowls and dirty spoons. And ooh, I spy cupcakes! lol

Noods’ t-shirt is perfect!

Helen (Grab Your Fork)    Aug 17, 02:03 AM    #

2. hehe love the tshirt! And that cake looks friggin’ awesome. Me wanty!

Karen    Aug 17, 03:45 AM    #

3. Heehee I love the awesome psychedelic swirls! I imagine eating this would have a similar effect to having a lot of red cordial, sugar high!!!! Happy Birthday to Noods!

Steph    Aug 17, 08:25 AM    #

4. Happy Birthday Noods! I love rainbow cakes – it brings back memories of when I was little and they were the biggest hit at parties! :)

Katie    Aug 17, 08:55 AM    #

5. Looks like someone has adopted your signature knife-in-hand pose :) Hope he had a great birthday (and that you got to sleep at a decent hour on Saturnight after making cake!)

shez    Aug 17, 08:57 AM    #

6. Hmmm, it looks delicious. I imagine I’d be bouncing off the walls after a slice, with those psychedelic colours!

— Michelle    Aug 17, 10:40 AM    #

7. That is one bright cake. Wow.. Happy birthday to Noods. Hope he had a really good day.

Katherine    Aug 17, 12:44 PM    #

8. Oh those colours came out so well!

Fiona    Aug 17, 01:56 PM    #

9. gorgeous cake …can you buy naturally coloured food gels because I am trying to give artifical to my little boys.

trish    Aug 17, 02:24 PM    #

10. Woooo another psychedelic cake! Did he know what inside would look like before he cut the cake?

yas @ hungry.digital.elf.    Aug 17, 03:01 PM    #

11. Man how’d you make your colours so rich and strong? That’s some crazy colours!

Trisha    Aug 17, 08:59 PM    #

12. Hee hee awesomecake ^^! It looks like an upside down shroom cloud.. of flavour!

FFichiban    Aug 17, 10:40 PM    #

13. What a psychedelic cake! That would be a cool cake to have at a 60’s themed party.

Jacq    Aug 18, 01:16 AM    #

14. Wow, you really know you way around rainbow cakes :)

Interesting shirt but I thought he wore it because he didn’t want to receive psychedelic mushroom cake.

Simon    Aug 18, 06:38 PM    #

15. helen: hehe yeah the spoons and bowls are pretty compared to how they normally look with normal colour batter haha
    karen: thanks dude! was fun making it!
    steph: heh well technically i used food colouring gels so i used less than i would with water colours?
    katie: aw man i never had rainbow cake at my parties!
    shez: hee! it is quite possible he may have started the knife pose!
    michelle: lol if not with the cake then definitely bouncing after the icing =D
    katherine: heh bright and uh cheerful?
    fiona: thanks dude! it makes me smile when i look at the swirlys!
    trish: hmm not that i know of but maybe try adding beetroot juice for the red and blackcurrent for the blue?
    yas: hehe he kinda knew from the mess i made with all the coloured bowls heh
    trisha: the powers of food colouring gels! wiltons are awesome!
    ffichiban: lol i couldnt be bothered doing mushroom shh dont tell him =D
    jacq: ooh with a disco ball! and afro wigs!
    simon: hehe maybe that can be my signature cake?

— chocolatesuze    Aug 19, 12:50 AM    #

16. Between that or hot chocolate, suze :)

Simon    Aug 19, 06:16 AM    #