Battle Royale Food Blogger Style

28 April 2010, 01:08

Once upon a time in a land far away there lived a group of people united in their love for food and of taking photos. With Billy, E and Linda at the helm, a group of food bloggers were split into 2 groups- savoury and desserts. The catch? Savoury ppl had to use a fruit in their dish and the dessert ppl had to use a vegetable.

We were designated 15min time limits in the kitchen for those who needed to reheat and/or cook

Billy writing names and order of our dishes for the night

Minh: Pumpkin soup with port melon and vanilla creme fraiche

Richard: Melon Triplets Salmon Tartare

E: twice-cooked orange salt rub pork belly with toffee-crisp crackling, caramelised cherry and brandy glaze, potato and apple mash with smoked bacon and savoy cabbage with smoky bacon.

Simon: Korean fried chicken – twice fried chicken thigh pieces with a pineapple chili sauce

Helen: pork ribs marinated in lychee and soy served with lychee and green olives.

And then there was a pause as we realised we had blown thru 5 savoury dishes within 1 hour. (Edit: i drink Mother because i LIKE it im not pimping it for $$$!)

Dessert time! Da bloggers went a lil crazy and plates were laid out awaiting conga line plating! Haha dessert overload!

Steph: a trio of beetroot – Chocolate & beetroot macaron, beetroot chocolate brownie with beetroot ice cream and a beetroot lollipop with fizzy sherbert powder

Karen: tasting plate of rhubarb – rhubarb financier, Rhubarb mousse gateau, lemon shortbread with rhubarb jam and rhubarb crumble.

Billy: eggplant chocolate tart with candied carrot, purple carrot ice cream with citrus peels and roasted almond

Linda: Caramalised onion panacotta w/ burnt butter ice cream & olive macaron

Shez: Fennel flan with fennel cream with beetroot sorbet and fennel and fennel brandy snap. (Thanks for the photo Richard)

MAH Rainbow Vegie Layer Cake! So i kinda didn’t plan ahead but knew i wanted something colourful, being all natural and not using food colouring. Finally decided on making 3 cakes, recipes via the links: Beetroot & chocolate, Carrot (minus the walnuts), and Spinach cake. I covered the cake in cream cheese frosting because i figured cream cheese frosting should be able to save a 3 layer vegetable cake… i was trying my hardest to keep the icing crumb-free but failing miserably so i was like meh screw it and chucked some edge pieces of each cake into the blender and covered the cake in crumbs hoho hello furry cake!

Innards shot! i LOVED how vivid the green in the spinach cake was! Though not so much the smell when it was baking… it really did smell like i was baking a vegetable cake! The beetroot and chocolate cake was ok though not something i’d make again unless i quadrupled the amount of chocolate used. The carrot cake was carrot cake. i managed to lose my grater so ended up chopping the carrots haha awesomesauce

Carnage! Twas an awesome night with super sugar overload and the geekiness of mini lan party haha thanks so much to E for hosting and to Billy and Linda for organising!

1. rofl you’re getting quite good at these rainbow coloured cakes; maybe enter the Easter Show comp next year haha

that beetroot macaroon looks worth trying!

Lex    Apr 28, 02:02 AM    #

2. LOL at vege fur! You are the queen of layered and multicoloured cakes :)

It was an epic battle and hopefully there’ll be many more to come.

Karen | C&C    Apr 28, 02:13 AM    #

3. trying to imagine smell of spinach cake as it was baking

your cake was tasty – i actually wanted more of a vegetable flavour! but oh the pretty colours! and the multi-colour crumb topping only added to the fun!

Helen (grabyourfork)    Apr 28, 02:52 AM    #

4. Your furry cake was awesome! The layers were so bright and colourful and I can’t believe you hand chopped the carrot, that would have sucked!

Steph    Apr 28, 05:28 AM    #

5. Suze, your cake looks so moist!Love the colours!You guys did an amazing job, I love the “behind the scenes” photos!:-)

Maria    Apr 28, 07:18 AM    #

6. Your cake is awesome! I was staring at it for a few minutes to figure out what it was. Didn’t taste much of the veges although I can imagine the smell of the spinach while baking in the oven. Great fun!

Ellie (Almost Bourdain)    Apr 28, 09:22 AM    #

7. LOL! Billy mentioned his purple carrot ice cream but I didn’t realise everyone was going so crazy with it! Sounds like so much fun! :)

AY    Apr 28, 09:59 AM    #

8. ahh that was soo much fun. Can’t believe one month of stressing, all ove rin one night =D

linda    Apr 28, 10:08 AM    #

9. Good thinking with the furry cake – ingenious, actually..!

Tina    Apr 28, 11:19 AM    #

10. Sounds like a wonderfully crazy night. Your furry cake is awesome; although I’d be reluctant to try it because there’s veggies in it – they don’t belong in desserts :P Although you guys have slightly convinced me otherwise; especially Steph!

Phuoc'n Delicious    Apr 28, 11:23 AM    #

11. Looks like a fun night, Steph’s dessert has me itching to try it, as do Helen’s ribs. Would never have thought to pair lychees and olives. How’d they work together?

MissDissent    Apr 28, 11:31 AM    #

12. Hehe, I like your action/behind the scenes shots, makes me realise there’s real people behind all those fab dishes! And I think your cake crumbs are what made the cake!

Angie    Apr 28, 11:44 AM    #

13. looks like so much fun! mini masterchef challenge!

kewpie    Apr 28, 11:48 AM    #

14. What’s with the mother drink advertising.

— Veggiedessert    Apr 28, 12:42 PM    #

15. looks fun :O)

betty    Apr 28, 02:57 PM    #

16. Hehe I love your layered cakes! Great idea making it furry hehe I always get cake crumbs in my icing so it’s a good way to cover it up =P Did the spinach cake taste like spinach?

Jacq    Apr 28, 04:46 PM    #

17. Your layered cake looks awesome! So impressed by all of you guys! :D

Betty @ The Hungry Girl    Apr 28, 05:32 PM    #

18. Wow how exciting. I would be so nervous cooking in front of everyone. No singing or dancing in the kitchen while I cook kinda stuffs my mojo up. All the food looks fantastic.

Katherine    Apr 28, 08:27 PM    #

19. So many great cooks in one kitchen – sounds like a fun and fattening night. Rainbow vegie cake sounds both healthy and delicious at the same time – possible?? :)

Trissa    Apr 28, 10:08 PM    #

20. that’s a lot of food! everyone did a great job though – thumbs up to all!

panda    Apr 28, 10:59 PM    #

21. Hahha furry cakey was tasty! Though I liked the “normal” carrot part the best haha

FFichiban    Apr 28, 11:30 PM    #

22. Awww so bummed that I couldn’t make it!! everyone’s dish looks soo gooooood!
    And I love the colours of your cake, those are my colour palette when I go furniture/accessory shopping LOL Hurray for natural food colouring!

Yas @ hungry.digital.elf.    Apr 28, 11:44 PM    #

23. hello nuffnanger! that cool shoot. I like taken food photo too but am still learning :D
    from Nuffnanger Malaysia :D

yours
    SH

Shahroll photo    Apr 29, 12:34 PM    #

24. I couldnt believe you guys wanna throw the cake out! Thank god I saved it and had it for breakfast, lunch and dinner the day after! LOL It was yummy dude… :P

billy @ a table for two    Apr 29, 07:30 PM    #

25. Hello!! My name is SIMAUMA. I write blog about the food.Please look.And I am glad if I link to your blog. simauma    Apr 29, 08:44 PM    #

26. i’ve been to a friend’s dinner night with 4 dishes and that was crazy enough in the kitchen preparing the food. this must have been super crazy finding space to cook/prep/plate :-)

Simon Food Favourites    May 2, 07:14 PM    #

27. Had so much fun that night and loved the design of your cake.

It’s amazing what crazy recipes some of us can put together when given a little nudge :)

Simon @ the heart of food    May 7, 12:34 AM    #

28. wow so much food and so much fun! I’d love to try Ellie’s twice-cooked orange salt rub pork belly with toffee-crisp crackling and your furry cake !!

Swee    May 12, 05:01 AM    #