Brown Butter Brown Sugar Blondies

13 September 2010, 00:34

There’s just something magical about the idea of browned butter. It’s like butter. BUT MORE AWESOME. To make this magical substance you melt the butter and cook it slowly until it is a rich, golden colour otherwise known as beurre noisette. Nutty, rich and oh so fabulous I knew I had to try baking something but what? A google search led me to a recipe for brown butter brown sugar blondies which I’ve adapted from here. And was it worth it? Dude totally! The first batch was demolished within a day and every time I open the fridge and see a block of butter I’m so tempted to just cover everything in sight with browned butter! But hey don’t take my word for it go forth and spread the brown butter ♥

Ingredients:
200g unsalted butter
1 cup dark brown sugar
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/8 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup white flour
Optional: stuff to add in eg choc chips, nuts, cinnamon bits

Preheat oven to 175C. Cube the butter and melt in a large saucepan. See my cubes? Chop em smaller than that! Melt over medium heat and occasionally give the pan a swirl. Warning: the mixture will bubble and double in size so make sure your saucepan is high enough and keep swirling once the bubbling starts. Watch carefully as lightly browned specks begin to form at the bottom of the pan. Smell the butter; it should have a nutty aroma, spoon some of the liquid out if you can’t tell if the colour has changed.

Ok not the best pic to show you the change of colour but once it has turned a beautiful golden colour take it off the heat.

Beat the 1cup brown sugar with the brown butter. It’s best to put the sugar in the bowl first before pouring the butter. Trust me. Or you will splatter yourself with hot butter and not be a happy chappy!

Add the egg and 1tsp vanilla extract and beat until well combined.

Sift in the 1cup flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt and mix until just combined.

Now is the time to add in any extras to your batter ie choc chips, nuts etc. A while ago I did a candy swap with the awesome Roboppy (Psst anyone want to do a candy swap with me?) and scored some Hershey’s Cinnamon bits. These are nubbins of cinnamon concentrated tastiness! As they are super cinnamon-y I only used a handful for half the mixture and white chocolate bits for the other half.

Pour mixture into an 8×8 pan and spread evenly. I prefer a higher edge to innard ratio and used a rectangle brownie pan which meant my blondies weren’t very high.

NOM NOM NOM

1. that looks gorgeous!

tehtarikdrinker    Sep 13, 01:05 AM    #

2. Ooh cinnamon chips! I agree, browned butter is magical, I wish they sold it in the stores so I don’t have to do it myself all the time!

Karen | C&C    Sep 13, 02:03 AM    #

3. Browned butter certainly gives cakes more flavour and I love using brown sugar too!

Maria @ Scandifoodie    Sep 13, 05:50 AM    #

4. These look delicious!!

Rhonda (TheDaintyBaker)    Sep 13, 09:02 AM    #

5. Lookin good Suze – especially the pretty little ribbon.

Gastronomy Gal    Sep 13, 09:05 AM    #

6. Agreed, brown butter is magical! These look awesome Suze!! I want cinnamon chips, I’ve made them from scratch but I really wanna try the hershey’s ones!

Steph    Sep 13, 09:31 AM    #

7. That looks really nice! The scent must’ve been unbelievably good! But if I had to make that recipe myself the Chocolate Chips would never make it to the batter.
    Yum!

marvs@eatmarvin.com    Sep 13, 09:50 AM    #

8. Mmmm browned butter and caramelised sugar in the same pot.. omnomnom

Margaret | fangirlish    Sep 13, 10:31 AM    #

9. hmhmhm…. i love brown butter! they look amazing – will have to try!

sporbo    Sep 13, 10:38 AM    #

10. Suze they look EVIL!!!

Inner Pickle    Sep 13, 10:48 AM    #

11. I didn’t think it was possible to make brown butter more awesome… until you added brown sugar! And cinnamon chips? I am so jealous!

ps. Robyn is a legend.

Helen (grabyourfork)    Sep 13, 11:05 AM    #

12. I know I’m meant to be swooning the most over the browned butte,r but I can’t get over my serious envy about those cinnamon chips. Are they made with white chocolate? Where did you get them? Oh, be still my beating heart…

Hannah    Sep 13, 02:12 PM    #

13. Maybe brown butter is the “it” ingredient of the moment. I’ve seen many recipes with brown butter popping up lately. I like your choice of brown butter recipe, so easy and delectable!
    Despite these blondies with do no good to my waistline, my sweet tooth tells me to go on try this recipe! :P

Emily    Sep 13, 05:06 PM    #

14. Ooh, what’s the taste difference?

Tina    Sep 13, 06:48 PM    #

15. ohh kool! looks deliciuos, simple and fun to make. gonna try this recipe.

sugarpuffi    Sep 13, 06:49 PM    #

16. mmmm browned butter cooked with brown sugar is almost like salted caramel, win!

Moya    Sep 13, 09:05 PM    #

17. Simply gorgeous (with the ribbon, that is). And brown butter is such an excellent idea.

OohLookBel    Sep 13, 10:49 PM    #

18. Why not turn them into brown butter brown sugar brownies? But whatever these look tastyyyyy bbbsbs!

FFichiban    Sep 13, 11:29 PM    #

19. I’ll swap candy with you, but it wouldn’t be the same would it ;). Brown butter I like, but Brown Sugar, I ADORE! Sounds like a great combo especially with the cinnamon chips.

shaz    Sep 13, 11:45 PM    #

20. Om nom nom indeed. There’s something magic and tasty about browned butter and sugar.

Emma @CakeMistress    Sep 14, 12:33 AM    #

21. Looks delish Suze!!!

Stella    Sep 14, 02:30 AM    #

22. Oh my goodness! I went through an obsessive blondie baking stage a couple of months ago. I topped mine with a raspberry crumb which made them ultra purty. These look fab!

Steph the Chef    Sep 14, 12:30 PM    #

23. Beautiful! I’ve never browned butter before but this looks like an excellent reason!

Shan    Sep 14, 12:46 PM    #

24. I just remembered I had cinnamon chips last night and had no idea what to do with them!

Iron Chef Shellie    Sep 14, 12:48 PM    #

25. Mmmm.. this is the the brownie’s distant relative. There’s a whole family out there just waiting to be discovered/baked!

Ladybird    Sep 14, 01:21 PM    #

26. I dont care if Donna Hay said brown food boring! These double brown-ies blondies are to die for!

Ellie (Almost Bourdain)    Sep 14, 02:48 PM    #

27. I can imagine the flavour packed into these little gems. They look delicious and you have me craving one now!!

Delicieux    Sep 14, 05:04 PM    #

28. browned butter does sound good. melted buttery goodness! I’ve never made blondies, never had the urge to try but maybe now… browned butter ones!

catty    Sep 14, 11:28 PM    #

29. Suze, these look incredible!

Georgia    Sep 15, 04:15 PM    #

30. Suze these look like gooey bits of heaven!
    i think if you left me in a room with a full plate of these blondies it would be gone in 2 mins flat!

Awesome score too with the cinnamon bits! yuummm

Gianna    Sep 16, 12:28 AM    #

31. http://matbakhun.blogspot.com/
    great recipes!!!

Matbakhun    Sep 22, 12:01 AM    #

32. Hey there, just whipped up a batch of these and came back here to check on the time… not sure if I’m completely missing it, but I can’t seem to find a length of baking time! Gonna just keep an eye on them, I’m sure they’ll turn out great.

— laura    Jan 9, 11:03 AM    #

33. I use toffee chips and bake for 19 min and they are a favorite for everyone who has tried them. The butter alone is mouth watering!!!!

— Krystin Patton    Jun 25, 12:28 PM    #