Bavarian Bier Cafe, Sydney

10 December 2010, 05:39

Edit: CLOSED OH HAI! Mmm mango bier how I ♥ thee… We are gathered here today to partake in the deliciousness that is Bavarian food at the Bavarian Bier Cafe (16 O’Connell Street, Sydney) thanks to the lovely Kate from Zing.

Would you like some butter with your pretzels ($3.50)? I jest I jest! The butter was shared with the other basket of pretzels lol but there’s nothing quite like fresh pretzels warm from the oven and studded with salt crystals.

The Salt and Pepper Squid with garlic, lime aioli (small $19.50/large $21.50) are a little heavy handed on the salt but are uber tender with the perfect ratio of batter to squid.

Forest Mushrooms and Sauteed Garlic Flammenbrot ($16.50). Mushrooms of the forest yo! Doesn’t that give you such great imagery? I’m totes imagining a whole bunch of super gnarled trees with branches stretching for the skies and sunlight filtering thru the leaves as they sway in the wind and pockets of mushrooms clustered together, almost as if they’re sharing mushroom body heat.. Oh yes it’s another 4am post wheeee! But the flammenbrot was delicious! Like a super thin pizza and covered in the lives of garlicy mushroom slices and topped with stretchy cheese.

Snap attack!

Crackling roast pork belly ($28.50). The meat is so tender and MOIST that it doesn’t really need the Granny Smith apple compote but is delicious nevertheless. I could totes eat the apple compote by the spoonful from whence it came.

Karen has ordered the Bavarian tasting platter ($27) which comes with pork belly, sausages and schnitzel and is such an impressive sight that I’m immediately overcome with food envy. Cos hot damn a tasting platter to try the restaurant’s specialties is gold.

Lisa’s Swiss Chicken Schnitzel topped with Swiss cheese and double smoked leg ham is a beast and try as she might she is unable to finish it. We help her out by stealing the fried to perfection fries. Seriously golden carb perfection with every bite!

Oohs and aahs fill the air as Helen’s massive Slow roasted pork knuckle ($37) arrives. Ain’t she a beauty! “It has a skirt of crackling!” she cackles. The word ‘resplendent’ comes to mind. Resplendent in crackling? Resplendent in beauty? Have I now made the word resplendent, redundant? Moving along. Luckily after having trouble deciding what to order we had agreed to share the knuckle and the pork belly between us which meant I had more access to crackling woot! The meat wasn’t as juicy as the pork belly but the crackling was fan freaking awesome and kicked the pork belly’s crackling to the kerb. Well not the kerb cos I still ate it. Mmm crackling you will not be wasted!

I interrupt the pork forecast with this photo of hanging bier steins.

But a dinner ain’t complete without some dessert and even tho we are stuffed we find our emergency dessert stomach and power thru. First up is a classic lemon tart with double cream ($11.50) which is zingy and just the right amount of sourness and sweetness ratio to counter the richness of all the pork that had been consumed.

Walnut and Date Pudding ($11.50) was served with honey ice cream. The honey ice cream was the best! Sweet, with just a hint of floral, the ice cream was quickly devoured by us, leaving no traces it even existed.

Chocolate Delice with summer berries and toasted almond ice cream ($11.50). Unfortunately I haz issues with anything almond essence flavoured so I stayed far away from this dessert tho I managed to swipe a spoonful or two from the side that didn’t touch the ice cream and it was uber rich and chocolatey.

The Apple strudel with vanilla anglaise (11.50) looked like one hefty creature but was surprisingly light, the apples subtly flavoured with the joys that is cinnamon and enveloped in pastry that was buttery and flaky.

A platter of cheeses served with red wine apple compote and lavosh ($19.50) comes towards us and while at first we chortle at glee at the jenga formation of the cheese we can barely make a dent in it as our food coma has well and truly set in.

But there’s always room for a schnapps or two :P

Chocolatesuze dined as a guest at Bavarian Bier Cafe with thanks to Zing

1. The food looks nice! My fave was the knuckle! I wish I tried the pretezel though. I can almost hear that loud cow bell as the schnapps approached your table. :)

eatmarvin    Dec 10, 08:09 AM    #

2. WHEEEEEEEE ~ TASTING PLATTER OF GOODNESS!! No, I am not licking my screen. Needs more schnapps and chocolate delice coma. I will always love this place mang, I want to marry it and have little alcoholic food babies with it.

Margaret | fangirlish    Dec 10, 11:58 AM    #

3. ohhhhhhh, the struddle, yummy. & mango beer, i’m in.

laura (Starloz)    Dec 10, 12:05 PM    #

4. oh i love the tasting platter!!!! hmhmhmhm… yum!

sporbo    Dec 10, 12:10 PM    #

5. Nope, I think you used the word resplendent perfectly :P Love the look of the flammenbrot and, of course, the desserts. Because desserts are almost always the awesomest bit :D

Hannah    Dec 10, 01:51 PM    #

6. That food is SO perfect for beers. Too fatty otherwise :)

Gaby    Dec 10, 01:52 PM    #

7. Woah, I just went to the Parra Bavarian Bier Cafe yesterday! I’m already missing that soft, fatty awesomeness that is the pork belly…

Winna    Dec 10, 02:58 PM    #

8. Flammenbrot was my fave! Though the schnapps was pretty good too :)

Tina@foodboozeshoes    Dec 10, 03:39 PM    #

9. OMG – the crackling on the slow roasted pork knuckle looks AMAZING! Drool.

MelbaToast    Dec 10, 05:13 PM    #

10. I love Bavarian! Always generous servings and great beer. The Jenga cheese tower is cute too.

Jen    Dec 10, 07:56 PM    #

11. omg hello there cheese plate!

Julie    Dec 10, 09:29 PM    #

12. Forget about a meat dress. I reckon a crackling skirt would be the real show-stopper!

Helen (grabyourfork)    Dec 11, 02:00 AM    #

13. mmmm mango wheat beer is so SO good. I got totally hammered on that once hehe :) Apple strudel also looks amazing… noms!

catty    Dec 11, 02:37 AM    #

14. you guys love your desserts. i wish i tried the salt and pepper squid :-)

Simon Food Favourites    Dec 11, 12:41 PM    #

15. Dang! That mushroom brot dish looks SO goos, but so do ALL of th desserts.. They also make a mean Schwarzwaelderkirschtorte (blackforest cake) there – YUM!

Ladybird    Dec 11, 09:00 PM    #

16. Hehee I just posted on Helen’s page too.
    Glad you two reviewed this coz I’ve been wanting to try the Parra one after a recommendation from a German couple + grew up on german food so miss it a bit :D

The red sauerkraut is one of my favs.

Must try this place out.

Dank dir :D

shaun @ everbody loves ramen    Dec 13, 01:04 AM    #

17. The mushrooms are making me totally hungryyy.. mmmmmmmmm

— Jessica    Dec 14, 09:06 PM    #

18. some of those pork dishes look absolutely delicious. in fact, i have to say the food presentation at this venue, judging by your pictures, is top notch. thanks for the post ;)

Fittings    Dec 16, 02:46 PM    #

19. The tasting platter is divine. I love to get that and try a bit of everything, although that hunk of pork belly is calling my name!

Susan    Jan 10, 01:02 PM    #