Chinese New Year Melt In Your Mouth Peanut Cookies

2 February 2011, 02:52

Woot Chinese New Year is 2moro dudes! Is everybody’s house nice and clean? Got snacks ready for the relatives dropping by? My favourite out of all the cny snacks is the peanut cookie- buttery soft, full of peanuty goodness, just enough salt for me to keep eating and eating and who knows how much sugar :P

Originally I was all set to follow Billy’s peanut cookie recipe except I realised just as I finished roasting my peanuts that I didn’t have any caster sugar errr crap so a quick jump onto google and I decided to try the mini sam tan kitchen‘s recipe which used icing sugar instead and it worked fabulously! I just had issues with the baking time and also the measurement of “add a good glug of oil” rofl. Makes about 30 cookies so feel free to double or even triple the recipe.

Ingredients:
200g unsalted, unroasted peanuts (+ a handful of halved peanuts for decoration)
200g plain flour
100g icing sugar (ignore my ghetto icing sugar storage)
½ tsp baking powder
½ tsp salt
1 egg, beaten (not shown cos i totally forgot to include in the lineup of ingredients)
Approx 150-175ml of vegetable oil

Fry or roast peanuts. I prefer frying because I can watch when the peanuts are starting to get golden; as soon as you see flecks of brown take off from heat

Blend nuts until completely pulverised

Mix all the dry ingredients together

Add 150ml of oil to the dry ingredients, stir and knead mixture. Gradually add more oil until mixture can hold it’s shape when squished and rolled into a ball

Enlist a minion to help roll out cookies. When I first mentioned to the boy that I wanted to make peanut cookies he tells me excitedly that he got told off by his teacher in his food tech class in Year 7 because the recipe was too unhealthy ahahaha

Preheat oven to 180C. Scoop a small spoonful of mixture into your palm and roll them into small balls and place on baking tray lined with baking paper. Place a halved peanut on top of each ball, then glaze with the beaten egg. Bake for 10-12 minutes or until the cookies are nice and golden.

MAH BABIES! Yeah ignore that really golden cookie down the bottom.. he had a bit too much time in the egg wash lol I had heaps of egg leftover and it was getting late and I was like doo di doo.. let’s coat him good..

Hee like my tea pot? It was from our tea ceremony :D

Once cool, place cookies in an air tight container. For yourself. Or others. But mainly for yourself. Gong hey fatt choy! Live long and… prosper…

1. I love your teapot and I love your peanut cookies! They look so professional.

Hai Noods. I see you got a haircut. I hope that Suze fed you a banana. Or a bapple.

Helen (grabyourfork)    Feb 2, 03:00 AM    #

2. my mum is the bomb at making these! when i’m arround I’m helping roll millions of balls :P x

Iron Chef Shellie    Feb 2, 08:55 AM    #

3. Love the way how the peanut cookies just softly crumbles in the mouth. Will definitely attempt to make in the future but in the meantime…Gong hey fatt choy!

Sweet.Petite.Treats    Feb 2, 09:30 AM    #

4. Love your peanut cookies :) Happy Chinese New Year Suze! :)

Ayu Liana    Feb 2, 09:51 AM    #

5. Your cookies look very yummy. million times better than the one i got from chinese grocer. could also experiment with cashews. i am a die hard nut fan. nice pictures. so new year feel. I miss my kueh bangkit, love letters…:( thks for the memory though.

Bernard (Makan1976)    Feb 2, 10:17 AM    #

6. Oh… So this is what you were making last night! They look uber delish! Just a question, how many cookies does the recipe make?

Happy CNY Suze!

Phuoc'n Delicious    Feb 2, 10:32 AM    #

7. oh wow – they look delish!

happy CNY suze!

Gastronomous Anonymous    Feb 2, 11:19 AM    #

8. These are so good. I used Billy’s recipe and had to make a second round because the first one almost disappeared 3 days before CNY!

Happy Chinese New Year to you.

pickyin @ life is great    Feb 2, 11:22 AM    #

9. Yum!! Happy New Year! Love the tea pot it’s gorgeous :)

Erin@TheFoodMentalist    Feb 2, 11:29 AM    #

10. The only thing I love more in this world than peanut butter is cookies that will taste like peanut butter.

Hannah    Feb 2, 12:37 PM    #

11. I haven’t had these in aaages! I miss them, but not as much as the deep-fried, pleated, dumpling-shaped things that are filled with peanuts, sugar, sesame and coconut…Much sugar and fat to be had =D

Happy New Year~!

mademoiselledelicieuse@gmail.com    Feb 2, 12:59 PM    #

12. These are one of my favourite CNY snacks. Unfortunately, I usually just buy a tin from the Chinese supermarkets, but the ones you made look so much better!! xox*

Food Fashion Victim *    Feb 2, 02:07 PM    #

13. Gong Hey Fat Choy (for tomorrow) !!
    May the new rabbit year be another food filled and prosperous one for you _
    Just made a few batches of pineapple tarts at my auntie’s last weekend – it was deemed fail because we ran out of plain flour and replaced part of it with self raising flour – disaster LOL

Monica    Feb 2, 02:48 PM    #

14. It’s like the peanut cookie factory of mah dreams!! But gee, looks like you might have heaps leftover coughbringmesomeonfridaycough

Live long and prosper xx

Karen | C&C    Feb 2, 04:15 PM    #

15. I love these peanut cookies. They look fantastic Suze. Have an amazing Chinese New Year full of food and red pockets yiheee.

Katherine    Feb 2, 04:22 PM    #

16. Happy new year Suze! Your cookies look awesome and you made so many as well! Guess you gotta make ‘em last, right?

Jacq    Feb 2, 05:08 PM    #

17. PEANUT! Delicious – I love the line up of all those cookies mmm. Happy New Year :)

Chanel    Feb 2, 05:39 PM    #

18. I’m such a novice when it comes to CNY, I have no idea what goes on! These look delicious Suze!

Maria @ ScandiFoodie    Feb 2, 06:40 PM    #

19. THEY.LOOK.AMAZZZZZZZZZING!!!

I want to eat all of them RIGHT.NOW!

Phoodie    Feb 2, 08:31 PM    #

20. that is a lot of cookies. Please share now lol..

Julie    Feb 2, 08:49 PM    #

21. Wow that’s a lotta cookies! They’re so cute and yummy though, you’ll finish them in no time. I don’t know why I never thought to make them at home before.

Jen    Feb 2, 10:09 PM    #

22. Kung Hei Fat Choy! Eeeeek I want your teapot! It is beyond adorable =D Where on earth did you get it??

Mmmm your peanut cookies look delish.

'chelle    Feb 2, 11:27 PM    #

23. happy CNY suze!! have a great rabbit year ahead! i’ve made peanut cookies and pineapple tarts this time, hohoho! more sugar into my tummy!

Melissa    Feb 3, 10:33 AM    #

24. Those cookies look totally addictive. Very, very dangerous. Happy New Year!

Gaby    Feb 3, 11:02 AM    #

25. Gorgeous! Yeah, you got that one good with the egg ;) Happy CNY!

Tina@foodboozeshoes    Feb 3, 11:08 AM    #

26. You need to get more minions. This one looks a bit nervous lol. Love these cookies. Happy CNY

Shanks    Feb 3, 01:20 PM    #

27. Happy New Year! Love this recipe, i have to try to make these one day. Nice work!

Delishhh    Feb 3, 04:03 PM    #

28. Wow they look great! I love it when Chinese restaurants sometimes give these cookies at the end of a meal.

retrodaze    Feb 3, 04:30 PM    #

29. They look so yummy!!

You need a Thermomix – then you are never out of caster sugar LOL!!!

Cate    Feb 3, 07:25 PM    #

30. How lovely, yours looks so warming and plump! The last time I had these were probably when I was a child. Thanks for bringing back the memories and seeing as the recipe appears relatively easy, I may just make it :)

Jenny @ Musings and Morsels    Feb 3, 09:20 PM    #

31. Your cookies are always so cute. And so many, like the wishes for happy new year =)

OohLookBel    Feb 3, 10:22 PM    #

32. Happy Chinese New Year! This has to be one of my favourite CNY treats. I’ve just made some but with hazelnut meal. Not too authentic, but I was too lazy to process the peanuts, hehe! Hope you had a great time with family and friends. :D And eat moderately, hehe!

Emily    Feb 3, 10:34 PM    #

33. Luv your tea pot!

Anita    Feb 5, 07:41 AM    #

34. So a glug is 150-175ml? :)

Like what you’ve done with the red backdrop. Looks nice :)

Simon @ the heart of food    Feb 5, 07:04 PM    #

35. Gong hey fatt choy!

I love Istana Malaysia too – the local place to go!!!

Cate    Feb 5, 07:34 PM    #

36. Woahh it’s a cookie factory! ;) Good to see that you’re able to get another use out of the tea ceremony tea set =)

angie    Feb 6, 02:32 AM    #

37. I made this the other night :D huge hit with the family! tastes nicer when made with icing sugar hehe

Vivian - vxdollface    Feb 7, 10:54 AM    #

38. Hello! I love you blog! You have so many great recipes, but I tried these first! They were great, and my husband loved them, which is always a plus :) I did a writeup about them in my blog as well, hope that’s alright (referencing this original post, of course)
    www.chicpixel.blogspot.com

Anne    Mar 25, 02:31 PM    #

39. Everyone needs a kitchen minion…well done Noods. Happy CNY to you both.

Miss Piggy    Jan 17, 11:21 AM    #

40. Made your cookies and my friends and kids loved them. Will be making more this weekend.

neev    Feb 14, 11:22 PM    #

41. These are amazing cookies. Love the lineup of the cookies.

— Archana    May 11, 01:55 AM    #