Felix Bistro & Bar, Sydney

7 March 2011, 02:31

OH HAI! So like, I CAN SEE! Lasik surgery went awesomely, I totally heart Dr C, Miss SS and the lovely peeps at Vision Eye Institute (lols free shout out yo!) Everything’s got a warm glow kinda like watching those crappy american day time teevee shows but woohoo no more glasses! Tho I do blame the above blurblur pic to Noods and not to my eyesight lol

So anyways last week was the boy and my 1 year wedding anniversary and I was given the option of going to Quay but… I chose Felix (2 Ash St, Sydney) on the basis of trying their legendary Reuben sandwich hehe priorities!

A complimentary basket of freshly sliced bread magically appears and before I know it half the bread disappears within seconds. Also, that butter was just fantastic and gone much too soon.

After demolishing the bread basket it probably was not the best idea for me to order the Chicken Liver Pate with Currant Relish & Cornichons ($16) knowing that I was going to be eating a sandwich for my mains and also knowing I have a stomach the size of a peanut… But I couldn’t resist! After trying the super delish pate at the March into Merivale launch party I’ve been having dreams about it! Silky smooth creamy pate how I love thee! I just could not help but slather the pate an inch thick onto a roughly hewn chunk of grilled bread and topped with a juicy currant or two oh baby this is the place where dreams are made.

Noods had chosen the Steak Tartare ($24) not quite knowing what it was. Really all he saw was the word steak and was intrigued when the mound of raw steak topped with an egg was placed in front of him. To be honest I didn’t give him much time to look at the menu as I was pretty hungry and had pre read the menu online and he didn’t bother asking me what it was cos he likes surprises heh but after giving everything a good mix and taking a tentative bite he dug in with gusto and the plate was soon spotless.

Heh <3

At last! My preciousssss! The Rueben Sandwich with a dill pickle ($18) is the cheapest item on the Mains menu but by golly it looks to be the hugest thing at Felix! It is a freaking monster with thick slices of grilled bread and slabs of crazy awesome salted meat (pastrami?), a layer of cheese and a blanket of sauerkraut.

Innards shot! Much appreciated the pickles on the side as opposed to inside the sammich as I haz issues with texture and preferred to take a bite or two of the rich, meaty sandwich followed by a mini bite of crunchy pickle. I did find the sauerkraut a tad salty but the meat made up for it with bucketloads of deliciousness.

Noods ordered the Crumbed Rabbit, carrot salad & eschallot vinaigrette ($32) again, out of curiosity and also knowing he would have to help me eat some of my sandwich haha we also ordered a side of Garlic Mash ($10) because I momentarily believed I had 5 stomachs that could handle all the richness.

Had to bypass the Chocolate Mousse knowing we would explode so plan B was the Lemon Delicious Pudding, cream & candied lemon ($16) which turned out to be the best damn lemon delicious pudding I have ever had in my life! Oh yes big call I know but hey now it just means you gotta go and try it and tell me if you’ve had better! It was the perfect ending to a rich meal, with lemony custardy innards so light it was almost souffle-like though I think I would have preferred a scoop of ice cream instead of the cream to go with it? But anywhos moving along.

But what’s this? Extra dessert? With a candle too! Naw ♥ a restaurant that picks up on the details! The blueberry financiers disappear quickly along with the ice cream into the abyss that is my emergency dessert stomach. Happy anniversary love! And we shall return soon, for the gruyere souffle is calling my name…

Felix - Bistro and Bar on Urbanspoon

1. At last. The final Reuben face-off! I’m keen to try the brains but also the crumbed rabbit and now the lemon delicious too. Happy anniversary and congrats on the lasik, although I think you should have kept the Terminator glasses. lol

Helen (grabyourfork)    Mar 7, 02:58 AM    #

2. Haha Reuben trumps Quay, love it! That lemon delicious looks oh so good. Congrats on being able to see!! I am still blind :(

Steph    Mar 7, 08:16 AM    #

3. So glad to hear that the surgery went well :) and what tasty food to celebrate!

Lisa (bakebikeblog)    Mar 7, 08:28 AM    #

4. Welcome to the land of the seeing! Meanwhile, I love that you ate a Reuben sandwich for your first anniversary lol.

Minh    Mar 7, 09:31 AM    #

5. I want lasik. And a Reuben sambo.

MelbaToast    Mar 7, 10:40 AM    #

6. Love Noods facial expression!

FFichiban    Mar 7, 10:51 AM    #

7. That pate looks to die for, I had rabbit liver pate on the weekend for the first time and it was delicious, but oh so rich.

Susan    Mar 7, 11:13 AM    #

8. WOW the ruben looks awesome! so does the pate… and
    HAPPY ONE YEAR ANNIVERSARY :)

Gastronomous Anonymous    Mar 7, 11:49 AM    #

9. That Rueben sandwich looks so yummy :)

Dumpling Girl    Mar 7, 11:50 AM    #

10. happy anniversary! been following your reuben obssession… good to see you found the best one in town! i need more guts to be able to eat a waabbit…

kewpie    Mar 7, 12:06 PM    #

11. Love the tower of Reuben sammich! I’ve heard so many people rave about Felix, I really have to go and try it out for myself now!

Jacq    Mar 7, 12:31 PM    #

12. Happy anniversary Suze! And thanks for the info or where you had your eyes done – so keen to have mine done one day!

— Lauren Taylor    Mar 7, 12:45 PM    #

13. ohhh u can seeee!! and im still blind :(

mmm…beef tartare

sugarpuffi    Mar 7, 02:56 PM    #

14. I’ve often considered Lemon Delicious to be my favourite dessert (or at least one of my favs) so I desperately want to try this Chocolate Suze-approved version!

Hannah    Mar 7, 03:37 PM    #

15. I walked past this place the other night and am dying to try it. I love the atmosphere -just like a French bistro!

Jen    Mar 7, 04:39 PM    #

16. The Chocolate Mousse looks FAB! Oh, My!

kim sisto robinson    Mar 7, 05:22 PM    #

17. Glad all went well with your eyes and happy anniversary to you and Noods.

Well done to Noods on the tartare, not knowing it was raw could of ended up being an epic fail.

sara @ Belly Rumbles    Mar 7, 06:23 PM    #

18. Props to Noods for eating the dish which usually makes first-timers spew

And I was so going to make the joke about the blurry photo…

the ninja    Mar 7, 07:17 PM    #

19. It all looks good, we went to Felix a few weeks ago…Amazing. Execellent post, the chicken liver pate looks the bizo. How good are the coktails and desserts there?

Gareth    Mar 7, 10:12 PM    #

20. This looks all so amazing, happy one year anniversary to you and Noods!

Jenny (Figs & Brie)    Mar 8, 12:19 AM    #

21. Happy anniversary, guys! And yay for Noods downing the steak tartare =D

mademoiselle délicieuse    Mar 8, 12:33 AM    #

22. Everything looks beautiful… I LOVE steak tartare yay :) Happy Anniversary and congrats on your sight ! Did it smell like pork by any chance – I remember my father having it done and the laser on his eyes smelt like BBQ pork. He was starving when he got out haha.

foodie and the chef    Mar 8, 02:21 AM    #

23. You will impair your eye sight again if you keep drinking those big, red cocktails! ;)

KayB    Mar 8, 10:40 AM    #

24. Happy Anniversary! And congrats on your vision :D

And yay for the restaurant’s details with the celebration dessert!

Haha how brave of Noods to order the tartare. The pate looks soooo smooth, and that sandwich! Wow! I’d want an extra side of pickles.

Chanel    Mar 8, 11:50 AM    #

25. That whole meal looks divine! I want that Rueben Sandwich. And a big Happy Anniversary to you

Bianca    Mar 8, 12:37 PM    #

26. Yay on your new eyesight. Ps wants Rueben Sandwich nows! Happy anny to you and noods!

Julie    Mar 8, 09:34 PM    #

27. The photo of the reuben makes me want to go back to Eat Deli Kitchen. Either that or hope that Felix has the reuben on their lunch menu.

Simon @ the heart of food    Mar 8, 10:20 PM    #

28. Every time I see a reuben on the menu, it is ordered without fail. Definitely have to make the trip to Felix to try it out.

Demos    Mar 8, 10:46 PM    #

29. I need some Felix fix! That is one big Reubie!

joey@FoodiePop    Mar 9, 10:43 AM    #

30. i’m pretty sure the meat is salted corned beef.. yumm! just so you know :)

— anon    Mar 9, 10:05 PM    #

31. Happy anniversary! Felix looks like a winner. Chalk up another one for the to do list when we make it back to Sydney.

Tori (@eat-tori)    Mar 10, 12:40 AM    #

32. Aww Happy Anniversary Suze & Noods!! And what a way to celebrate =)

angie    Mar 10, 02:02 PM    #

33. Congrats on the anniversary!

The gruyere souffle is amazing, you have to try it. Head chef, Lauren Murdoch, moved over from Ash St Cellar to design the menu and run Felix.. absolutely taste bud thrilling food :)

— ally    Mar 10, 10:14 PM    #

34. I’m myopic, so I’m peering a bit here, and will try and ignore the bunny #savethebunnies Glad you enjoyed the Reuben, yes it’s huge. I’ve had the lemon delicious pudding as well – pure comfort food. I really must go back, a friend has also raved about the steak tartare…

aptronym    Mar 11, 07:52 PM    #

35. Happy anniversary! Been thinking about laser surgery as well – but my friend’s claim that he lost “a litre of sweat in the final moments before it happened” is a bit daunting & scary :(

forager @ The Gourmet Forager    Mar 21, 09:22 AM    #

36. Congrats on the anniversary!

The Rueben Sandwich… OMG!!!

thang@noodlies    Mar 22, 05:37 PM    #

37. I went here ealrier this year and really enjoyed it. It’s such an attractive restaurant:) I found the staff to be very helpful and friendly too. I also had the chicken liver Mmmm! Yum!
    The dessert looks very tasty! Looks like you had a very nice time there:)

Miss Kimbers @ Fruit Salad and Mixed Veg    Oct 18, 07:33 PM    #