Jurassic Lounge- The Australian Museum, Sydney

23 March 2011, 03:13

Welcome! Oh look is that a dinosaur sticking its head out the window at the Australian Museum? Why yes it is! After seeing some photos from the awesome crunchy tiger on her blog and on the book of faces, we crazy kids rocked up to Jurassic Lounge at the Australian Museum (6 College St, Sydney).

Word on da street was that it’s kinda like a pop up bar… but in a museum. Which is totes awesome cos I’m not super crazy about dinosaurs but I admit to having a fascination of how the dinosaur bones are arranged cos we all know how I love puzzles (lols stupid soft drink puzzle is still not completed arghh!)

$15 entry got us 1 free drink and then you’re free to stumble around the museum, going through all the nooks and crannys without fear of anyone telling you to keep your voice down or hey you no drinks in here lol alcohol + darkened museum + awesome tunes = best Tuesday night ever!

Teehee it’s the dinos ass backside! In the skeleton room there was live music with heaps of cushions scattered around, next door were artists painting beautiful creations and go up a level and there’s a silent disco!

Ohohoho the silent disco was the main drawcard for me wanting to visit the museum and it was an interesting experience entering a mostly silent room of people bopping along to a beat you could only hear via headphones. Loved dancing in a room filled with towering dinosaur skeletons but the music that night was not quite my style and a tad trippy- someone needs to invent a silent disco where you can change the channel on the headphones to listen to music from another dj! You heard this idea here first yo!

Oh hai! This fabulous pic was taken by Minh when we were leaving the silent disco and stumbled across a mini dance area where a webcam had been set up to a projection screen so you can watch yourself dance and shoot lasers street fighter/mortal kombat style! Tunes were crazy awesome here and I fear there may be some insane videos taken of me dancing like a looney floating around the interwebs soon haha edit: FOUND IT!

Thanks miss kathy!

There wasn’t much hot food available but we got these cute little pies ($6 for 3)

My what sharp teeth you have. There was also a Twitter scavenger hunt that saw our group tearing around taking photos and um winning all 3 prizes of the night heh nerds ftw

Run away Richard!!

RAWR! The gift shop is like, soooo much fun! There was also a teenage mutant ninja turtle costume for sale but sadly only in kids size haha

It gloooooows! Jurassic Lounge is running every Tuesday night from 5.30pm until the 19th April so get there soon before it becomes extinct!

1. I need to drink at museums more often!

Fiona    Mar 23, 08:27 AM    #

2. lolz I have the exact same pic of my head in t-rex’s mouth, beer in hand. Such an amazing night, keep it up, Aust Musuem!!!

KayB    Mar 23, 09:26 AM    #

3. That looks pretty cool. Although I would definitely like to be able to choose my own music!

Susan    Mar 23, 09:52 AM    #

4. that is so cool!! music, dinosaurs, drinks and dancing in museum!

Melissa    Mar 23, 10:36 AM    #

5. Good times! I had flashbacks to primary school excursions and having to write down answers on activity sheets pinned to clipboards. The silent rave was hilarious.

Helen (grabyourfork)    Mar 23, 10:43 AM    #

6. so cool! can’t wait to go myself :D

Vivian - vxdollface    Mar 23, 10:46 AM    #

7. This looks like great fun!
    I’m not sure I would be able to control myself on a school night. ;)

Emily@NeedsMoreSugar    Mar 23, 10:47 AM    #

8. hate to break it to you, but there are already silent disco headsets where you can change the channel and listen to different DJs. Luv yr blog btw

— KB    Mar 23, 11:11 AM    #

9. Looks great fun. Been meaning to go………

Tina@foodboozeshoes    Mar 23, 11:14 AM    #

10. Awesome post! I’m going next month, can’t wait looks like lots of fun. Did you get to keep those dinosaur masks? hehe

xxMs D

Ms Darlinghurst    Mar 23, 11:32 AM    #

11. hehe awesome night! you went totally nuts in front of that laser shooty screen thing hahaha

Jacq    Mar 23, 11:44 AM    #

12. sounds like u had an awesome night! will have to check it out… love the shot of you dancing! thats awesome

Gastronomous Anonymous    Mar 23, 11:54 AM    #

13. WOOHOO!! Looks like you guys had an awesome time!! The lasers thing sounds rad – the VJs weren’t as interesting on the day we went.

Hahahaa… I won a prize on the twitter scavenger hunt too. TWITTER ADDICTS FTW

crunchytiger    Mar 23, 12:14 PM    #

14. There are not enough opportunities in life to put your head inside a giant set of jaws. AWESOME.

Hannah    Mar 23, 04:52 PM    #

15. Looks fun !!!*

Food Fashion Victim *    Mar 23, 04:53 PM    #

16. Super Cool!

Erin@TheFoodMentalist    Mar 23, 04:58 PM    #

17. Oh wow- what a fantastic idea! Love the thought of the silent disco. Hilarious.

Tori (@eat-tori)    Mar 23, 07:33 PM    #

18. Looks like so much fun! If only they had more food available.

Jen    Mar 23, 10:14 PM    #

19. This looks like sooooo much fun, makes me wish I had more ‘me’ time….

muppy    Mar 24, 09:29 AM    #

20. Hi Susan – lovely to meet you and thanks for stopping by my blog. Your blog is awesome! – it’s full of great posts and I can’t wait to start reading through them – thanks for sharing!
    ps- love your candy wedding pics – so cute!

bhavani@ameanderingmango    Mar 24, 10:50 AM    #

21. Wow looks so cool!! Looks like you guys had a great night!!!!

Cate    Mar 24, 03:00 PM    #

22. Love the blog! Especially all those lovely reviews of yours and the witty recipes.

— Pallavi    Mar 24, 08:47 PM    #

23. Hi! I LOVE silent disco! And at Big Day Out they had two DJ’s, it was awesome :)
    This pop-up bar looks totally cool, my science-freak fiance will love it!

JasmyneTea    Mar 24, 10:31 PM    #

24. Looks like so much fun – roar!

Miss Piggy (MelbaToast)    Mar 25, 09:00 AM    #

25. Ahhh one of my colleagues went here recently and I thought it sounded so awesome – and it looks awesome! I love dinosaurs :D

Chanel    Mar 29, 08:46 PM    #

26. ahaha! I finally got to go to this place on Tuesday night. Did you see the magician there? (near the tatoo artist.) He was amazing! I thought the silent disco was cool, until i saw the card tricks!!! :)

Winnie    Apr 7, 03:36 PM    #