Baker's Edge Cheesecake Brownie

8 April 2011, 05:00

OooOoooOoooh! It’s like, a maze of brownie! So aaaaages ago I bought the Baker’s Edge brownie pan- you know, the pan where every piece has an edge? Yes I am one of those people who love the edge pieces on brownies. It’s the best yo!

Last week when I was waiting for my cinnamon sugar pull apart bread to rise I got bored and decided to make this cheesecake brownie while waiting. It was both good and bad; good because the cheesecake brownie was freaking delicious, bad because apparently I have concentration issues and very stupidly doubled the recipe which resulted in overflow lol but the below recipe is what I should have stuck with to get a super MOIST brownie with creamy cheesecake swirls. With a bit of tweaking I followed the Joy of Baking recipe here (adapted from Alice Medrich’s Cookies and Brownies) and the recipe provided with the tin found here. The recipe below is a normal (single) recipe.

Brownie base ingredients:
13⁄4 cup plain flour
3⁄4 tsp baking soda
1⁄4 tsp salt
150g butter
250g chocolate
11⁄2 cup caster sugar
3 eggs
2tsp vanilla extract

Preheat oven to 175C. Lightly spray pan with non-stick cooking spray. Melt the 150g butter and 250g chocolate, stirring occasionally until melted and then remove from the heat.

Stir in the sugar and vanilla extract.

Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well (with a wooden spoon) after each addition.

Stir in the 13⁄4 cup flour, 3⁄4 tsp baking soda and 1⁄ 4tsp salt until the batter is smooth and glossy.

Pour the brownie base into the prepared pan.

Cheesecake ingredients:
250g cream cheese, room temp
55g butter, softened
1⁄2 cup caster sugar
1tsp vanilla extract
3 egg yolks,
1⁄4 cup plain flour

Beat the cream cheese and butter until smooth and creamy.

Beat in the 1⁄2 cup sugar and 1tsp vanilla extract.

Beat in the egg yolks one at a time, beating mixture well after each egg yolk is incorporated.

Add the flour and beat until combined.

Dollop the cheesecake filling on top of the brownie base.

Ooh swirlies! Use a skewer to swirl the brownie and cheesecake batter. Bake for 45-50 minutes.

It’s aliiiiiiive! This is what happens when you get impatient people! Oh gawd my poor oven

A bit of scrapage and it’s all good! The tray I had put the brownie tin on had caught most of the overflow lol

Mmm edgey

It’s time for your closeup! Hello fudgey chocolatey brownie! Hello delicious cheesecakey layer! And HELLLOOOO edges! Hope you have an awesome weekend dudes cos woot it’s friday! Friday! Gotta get down on Friday…

1. Oooo edges on ALL the pieces, I wouldn’t want to give any away! I usually slice off the edges because they rise up and look ugly and give the nice neat middle pieces away to other people. Then I am left with nothing but chewy edgey brownies =D

angie    Apr 8, 08:59 AM    #

2. I saw this in a magazine and didn’t really think much of it… must admit I haven’t had a brownie in ages…… must rectify this and eat all the edge bits :P

Iron Chef Shellie    Apr 8, 09:25 AM    #

3. I didn’t know there was such a thing as brownie pan like this! Brilliant. …and glad there’s Lindt chocolate in the brownies :)

Andrea    Apr 8, 09:26 AM    #

4. Yum!!! I haven’t had a cheesecake brownie in ages! Love the idea of an all-edges brownie!

Lisa    Apr 8, 09:51 AM    #

5. oooo this looks seriously good… i love brownies :)YUM!

Gastronomous Anonymous    Apr 8, 09:54 AM    #

6. Lordy McLord this looks fricking awesome. Edge pieces = so much win.

Kat    Apr 8, 10:08 AM    #

7. This looks so incredibly delicious and I am in love with you pan :)

muppy    Apr 8, 11:10 AM    #

8. Whoah. Explodey brownies! I like the swirls! ps. What day is it today?

Helen (grabyourfork)    Apr 8, 11:38 AM    #

9. oh no you’re poor oven! but it was all worth it i’m sure! looks delicious (and cool)!!!

idontcryieat    Apr 8, 11:41 AM    #

10. Whoa @ the butter and overflow! Is it hard to get out of the tin…?

Tina@foodboozeshoes    Apr 8, 12:11 PM    #

11. What a great tin!!
    OMG your brownie looks awesome!!!!

Brenda    Apr 8, 12:14 PM    #

12. I’m impressed how the brownie came out of the pan in one piece. So who cleaned the oven? I wonder what those ‘self-cleaning’ ovens would do ;)

OohLookBel    Apr 8, 01:29 PM    #

13. hahaha I can’t but laugh at the overflowing brownie picture, was it a pain to clean??

Jacq    Apr 8, 02:20 PM    #

14. Ooh look at the swirls!
    That is a cool tin, but I must admit I’ve always been a fan of the centre! I’m anti-edge ;)

Chanel    Apr 8, 02:51 PM    #

15. The brownies look awesome – not so the oven!!! I can recommend a good oven cleaner…….

ps – I voted for you!!!

cate    Apr 8, 04:43 PM    #

16. You love the edges, I love the squishy centre…let’s make a pan of brownies and you can eat the outside ones, I’ll eat the inside ones! _

Lau @ Corridorkitchen    Apr 8, 04:54 PM    #

17. That looks so goooood…I want some now!

— Mike Thomson    Apr 8, 05:14 PM    #

18. brownies and cheesecake are the best duo. mmm….

sugarpuffi    Apr 8, 05:32 PM    #

19. Who ever would have thought thtat extra more double special yes tremendous heaps extra brownie wouldn’t lead to bestness?! I totally would have gobbled the cheesecakes overflow.

P.S. So lovely to have met you last night! Yay! :)

Hannah    Apr 8, 07:46 PM    #

20. I want one of those brownie tins steals

Julie    Apr 8, 10:16 PM    #

21. I really need to try a cheeescake brownie. I’ve never had one before..shock, horror!

Jen    Apr 9, 12:21 AM    #

22. You are so hilarious hahaha Shame about all the excess cleaning and washing! But I think we have learnt one thing today…Icing sugar does make everything look better!

— Paul    Apr 9, 12:03 PM    #

23. Wow that looks amazing! I can’t believe I have never seen a tin like that, it’s awesome! Mind you I don’t make a lot of stuff at home anymore, I eat enough when I am out I try to avoid sugar when at home. How on earth do you stay so thin Suze?

Lex (afoodstory)    Apr 9, 02:19 PM    #

24. Brownie overflow = crunchy bits to eat straight away! …although obviously we don’t do these sorts of things on purpose =p

And stop singing that song! Gaaahhh, stuck in my head AGAIN!!

mademoiselle délicieuse    Apr 9, 04:07 PM    #

25. If I wanted to make just the chocolate brownie part, is it ok to follow just that part of the recipe and put it in the oven?

— Retrodaze    Apr 9, 06:23 PM    #

26. looks super yummy!
    i have similar question to Retrodaze.. your recipe, is that the doubled version? or the correct measurement for one baker’s edge all edge brownie tin?

shelvia    Apr 9, 07:03 PM    #

27. Oh no! Escaping brownie. Hey your oven looks a lot like mine (but heck of a lot cleaner, yeah, even with the chocolate bits). Never seen that brownie pan before, but what a great idea.

shaz    Apr 9, 09:06 PM    #

28. the brownie look so delicious! i love the edges too!

Melissa    Apr 10, 12:15 AM    #

29. I actually love the gooey centres of brownies haha so you can always pass them my way ^^!

FFichiban    Apr 10, 01:38 AM    #

30. This looks absolutely delicious! But poor oven, it’s all over the place :(

Agatha @ Curious Bite    Apr 10, 06:58 AM    #

31. Even though it exploded in the oven, your brownie still looks delicious! I am impatient as well, I want things to be cooked then and there.

Daphne    Apr 10, 08:56 AM    #

32. Yum to the extra edges :) Poor you for the additional cleaning though.

Dumpling Girl    Apr 10, 04:55 PM    #

33. Brownie and cheesecake. two words almost better than love. :D

shaun @ everbody loves ramen    Apr 10, 09:39 PM    #

34. Delicious! I need to get me one of those tins! :)

JasmyneTea    Apr 10, 11:54 PM    #

35. Brownie edges are definitely the best. I have made something similar to this with the added extra of raspberries, really really good!

Susan    Apr 13, 12:21 PM    #

36. hi ,
    I was wondering where did you buy this pan from ?
    Thanks ,

Emily xox

— Emily    May 23, 03:11 AM    #

37. You would have never guessed that it exploded in the oven! It looks like pure chewy chocolatey goodness!

Mary    Jun 7, 03:07 PM    #