La Casa Ristorante, Russell Lea

22 August 2011, 05:44

It started with a drink. Ok well technically it started with an email asking me to save the date a whole 1 month ahead of time to have dinner at La Casa Ristorante (271 Lyons Rd, Russell Lea). Stalking the menu and blog posts for a whole month kinda led a bunch of us to over order haha but it was so worth the food coma!

A complimentary bottle of prosecco and a garlic pizza kicked off the night, with the bubbly Carmel enveloping each of us with a warm hug. Every person that stepped through the door was welcomed like long lost family and soon the placed is packed with happy humans.

The oil is smiling at me! (I’m not crazy I’m not crazy)

Garlic prawns with cherry tomato, chilli & verjuice ($17) aka the garlic prawns of awesome. Seriously the best garlic prawns I have ever eaten, uber fresh prawns with enough garlic for me to be able to fight off a legion of vampires.

Crispy fried calamari served with rocket, aioli & balsamic ($16). “We HAVE to get the calamari,” Gianna cries. No worries mate, one plate of calamari coming right up! The calamari rings are lightly battered and a swipe in the aioli and a dab of balsamic later and our table momentarily pauses in conversation to fight over the remaining rings.

Of course what is a visit to La Casa without ordering Our Mamma’s original style meatballs ($15)! We were reduced to 10 year olds with drawls of baaallllllls mmm delicious baaaallllls. It might have been that second bottle of prosecco. Or the bottle of red. But man those balls were delicious! Hand shaped with love and rich tomato sauce that was totally to die for. I’m still thinking about your balls Mama Rugerri!

Pappardelle with pancetta, swiss brown mushrooms in a creamy white wine sauce ($21). It was insane how delicious this pasta was. Creamy and light, the ribbons of pasta wound its way around my heart to be held and bound forever with love.

Gnocchi with sausage, sage in butter & red sauce ($22). You know how people always say gnocchi are like pillows of happiness? No? Well this totally was! Light as can be, these plump little nubbins were gleefully spooned onto plates with all traces of sauce scraped clean.

Fettucine pasta with prawns, garlic, olive oil, chilli, spinach & capers ($23). Somehow I managed to not try this pasta um oops?

Wagyu Beef Cheeks slow cooked in red wine jus w/baby spinach & buttered potato puree ($36). But I made sure the beef cheeks were the first thing to hit my stomach and hot damn those were tasty cheeks! “Don’t bother with a knife,” laughed Carm and she was right cos these babies just fell apart the moment a fork came by.

La Casa’s famous meatballs topped with Fior di latte in a folded pizza ($23). We had wanted to order a pizza but knowing that we’d already ordered 3 pastas we settled with the meatball calzone to satisfy our pizza quotient. Meatballs wrapped in pizza equals awesome.

We also got the full rack of pork ribs ($34) in case, like, we were still hungry. We weren’t but no way were we letting it go anywhere! All cutlery was discarded in favour of gnawing at the ribs covered in finger licking delicious sauce.

Explodey point was imminent so we ordered 3 Tiramisu’s ($10.50) to share which had the perfect fluffy creamy mascarpone to coffee soaked savoiardi biscuit ratio.

Aaaand Cannoli filled with ricotta ($8) and some shots to end our epic meal. Truly that was an epic dinner and I’m still dreaming about the baaaaaallls :P

La Casa Ristorante on Urbanspoon

1. Ahh I’ve always wanted to visit La Casa, and now that I’ve devoured all this food with my eyes, I think my time has come! Nom Nom the garlic prawns, gnocchi and cannoli are really doing it for me…x

Emma @ Afternoon Deelight    Aug 22, 08:49 AM    #

2. Pappardelle with creamy white wine sauce! Me love creamy pasta.

Nice finish with that canoli! Will add this to my wish list

Ramen Raff    Aug 22, 09:08 AM    #

3. The gnocchi looks so inviting, another one for the must go to soon list, I think :)

Dumpling Girl    Aug 22, 10:35 AM    #

4. mmmmm, all looks so homely and scrumptiously good!

Tina@foodboozeshoes    Aug 22, 10:49 AM    #

5. A big YEAH to the beef cheeks baby! Me want now!

john@heneedsfood    Aug 22, 10:50 AM    #

6. Aww you missed out on the last pasta? It was SO GOOD. Mmmm ballzzzzzz. <3 La Casa and Carm and all you girls, was a great night!

Steph    Aug 22, 10:50 AM    #

7. mmmmmmmmm i love a good Italian meal. the gnocchi looks divine! And how cute is the smiley oil hehe..

catty    Aug 22, 11:14 AM    #

8. Balllzzz… Mmmmm meaty :p

Phuoc'n Delicious    Aug 22, 11:37 AM    #

9. thats the ONLY way to eat ribs! the only person who would use cutlery with ribs is the Queen.. :P

Mary    Aug 22, 12:25 PM    #

10. So I see a dog wearing a hoodie in the oil. That probably does make me crazy…

Hannah    Aug 22, 12:47 PM    #

11. I love Mama’s meatballs! So amazingly soft and delicious. And lol at “the ribbons of pasta wound its way around my heart”. Your poetry. It moves me.

Helen (grabyourfork)    Aug 22, 01:04 PM    #

12. The calamari and ribs are winners!

Sara @ Belly Rumbles    Aug 22, 02:29 PM    #

13. Ummm meaty balllsssss makes me so happeh! What an awesome night! Food was awesome and the company, even better <3 <3 <3

K | Citrus and Candy    Aug 22, 03:07 PM    #

14. The Highlight of the night for me was the beef cheeks and the Meat Baaaallllssss. So delicious. We had a lot of laughs and it was so good to finally meet you Suze. Cant wait till next time. Carm is fantastic and her waiters are hubba hubba… ehehe, MC HOTTIE..

Katherine    Aug 22, 03:39 PM    #

15. is there anything more beautiful than meatballs wrapped in pizza? I think not.

kayb    Aug 22, 07:48 PM    #

16. mmmh.. garlic prawns i <3

the steak looks delish too!!

Dolly    Aug 22, 08:13 PM    #

17. Those ribbons of pappardelle look soooooo good.

Jenny (minibites)    Aug 22, 10:14 PM    #

18. You ladies ate so much! Food looks though, especially the prawn fettucine! mm hehe I see the smile too, you’re not cray cray :P

Vivian - vxdollface    Aug 22, 10:59 PM    #

19. it looks delicious!!!
    that rack of ribs…drool

Excuse Me Waiter    Aug 23, 12:42 AM    #

20. Mmmmm ball filed pizzaaa – those caollis look amazing!!!

Nic@diningwithastud    Aug 23, 11:06 AM    #

21. I always seem to read your blog when I am hungry which is never a good idea as they pictures are always so great!

Spencer    Aug 23, 03:05 PM    #

22. Been meaning to check this place out for a while now. Need to do asap! Gnocci looks very good.

Dressed and Eaten    Aug 23, 05:44 PM    #

23. Yum! Winter is the best for Italian food!!

hungryhippo    Aug 23, 11:09 PM    #

24. Holymoly I want to go back after looking at these photos!!! Twas such a fun night with you ladies… meatballs and beef cheeks and hot waiters and Carm being Carm!!

Trisha    Sep 6, 12:00 AM    #