Bistro Moncur, Woollahra

29 August 2011, 06:59

Edit: CLOSED OH HAI! Been a while since I posted a pic with a knife lols. So like, the boy and I were heading out to Woollahra to get my fix of pate from Victor Churchill Butcher and a shoutout on Twitter about where to go for lunch led us to Bistro Moncur (116 Queen St, Woollahra) adjacent to the Woollahra Hotel.

French Onion Souffle Gratin ($20) is Bistro Moncur’s signature dish and it is freaking amaaaazing. Totally to die for (heh HI ANNA). The shallow dish is filled with golden liquid cheese and the island floating in the middle contains strips of caramelised onion melding perfectly with the incredibly light souffle. The complimentary basket of bread that is placed at our table is perfect to soak up the rich cheesy sauce.

Poached Bugtail Salad ($21.50) is an eye catching dish, the bright colours of the celeriac remoulade, grapefruit segments and avocado slices all but hide the bugtail slices layered beneath. The flesh is a bit on the squishy side but the salad of the day is a welcome contrast to my uber rich entree.

Grilled Sirloin with Cafe de Paris ($41.50). Yeah baby check out my steak lovingly bathed in butter! A flawless medium rare, with the perfect fat to tender meat ratio, the sirloin was just awesome. And um, rich covered in all that butter. After my super cheesy souffle I was totally about to have heart palpitations but I soldiered on! Cos it’s what I do! The side of fries were thin and crispy and were unceremoniously dunked into the butter sauce.

The boy has opted for the Prime Fillet Steak with Sauce Béarnaise ($43). Sadly his medium rare steak was a tad on the dry side and the bearnaise sauce oddly had lemon juice in it making it taste more like a hollandaise sauce. The string holding the steak together was left on and was inelegantly excavated and pushed to the side. Not happy Jan.

But dessert will make it better! Warm Chocolate Pudding with Chocolate Sorbet ($16.50) is a glorious sight, the rich chocolate sauce cascading down the edges of the light as air chocolate pudding. The chocolate sorbet is surprisingly refreshing and light in flavour.

Noods’ Blood Orange Granita with Poached Winter Fruit, Yoghurt Panna Cotta and Candied Almonds ($17.50) is such a pretty dessert though not one of my favs thanks to my dislike of almonds and multiple flavours and textures in the one glass. The panna cotta has a slight cheesecakey taste thanks to the yoghurt which I find intriguing but would’ve loved it if the blood orange granita was more in your face with flavour.

Sidenote: a ginormous bottle of sparkling mineral water was plonked at out table without asking what we wanted. We only found out when we got the bill that it was complimentary but still, I would’ve preferred to have been asked of our water preference as I’m totally ok with Chateau Warragamba. Service was a bit hit and miss, we started off with a lovely waitress however she was loved by everyone there and was soon run off her feet and we got switched with a not so happy waiter. Oh wells the glass of red and of course the company made for a delicious (if exxy) lunch.

Bistro Moncur (Woollahra Hotel) on Urbanspoon

1. OOOO loving the look of nood’s blood orange granita dessert! Interesting about the bearnaise. All looks delish

Sara @ Bellly Rumbles    Aug 29, 11:27 AM    #

2. liquid cheese! omfg! i want some of that souffle!

sugarpuffi    Aug 29, 11:44 AM    #

3. Such a shame about that prime beef. You think it was an oversight with the string? Surely they dont do that on purpose?

Nic@diningwithastud    Aug 29, 11:45 AM    #

4. Pity about the service and the beef. But wow that souffle does sound amazing!

Dressed and Eaten    Aug 29, 12:10 PM    #

5. Don’t forget Chateau Woronora!

mademoiselle délicieuse    Aug 29, 12:30 PM    #

6. What a pity Noods’ steak was a fail – and an expensive fail at that. Luckily dessert made up for it.

Miss Piggy    Aug 29, 12:37 PM    #

7. What a nice posh lunch. Need one of those every now and then :)

Tina@foodboozeshoes    Aug 29, 12:59 PM    #

8. i used to work right next door to bistro moncur, this was our ‘local’ for lunch! pity that the prime beef was dry – but i like the sound of blood orange granita! YUM!

gastronomous anonymous    Aug 29, 01:01 PM    #

9. Mmmm warm chocolate pudding. I have a feeling even though I now have a craving for a warm chocolate pudding its probably not the best option for lunch.
    Looks like beautiful food there though!

Apple @Polkadotsandchopsticks    Aug 29, 01:15 PM    #

10. Mmmm liquid cheesy goodness!! $43 for a dry steak with string left on it would make any Jan not happy ;)

Shanks    Aug 29, 01:32 PM    #

11. OMG.. cheese/// wow they are so generous…

Dolly    Aug 29, 01:46 PM    #

12. I’m so drawn to the sirloin right now, it looks amazingly good.

Dumpling Girl    Aug 29, 01:48 PM    #

13. Shame about Noods’ steak, but wow at your sirloin and that souffle gratin! Mmm butter.

Chanel    Aug 29, 02:48 PM    #

14. You my lovely, are the only person in the world who can look so pretty and wholesome with a knife in your hand…

K | Citrus and Candy    Aug 29, 03:08 PM    #

15. That French onion souffle gratin looks wickedly good. A shame about the prime fillet steak though, esp as it’s $43!

joey@FoodiePop    Aug 29, 03:33 PM    #

16. Mmm those desserts look pretty~

Lil    Aug 29, 08:24 PM    #

17. Heheh…Chateau Warragamba. Good one.

— Elle    Aug 29, 09:37 PM    #

18. that butter sauce, wow…!!!

jenny (minibites)    Aug 29, 11:15 PM    #

19. I feel really bad that Bistro Moncur was anything short of fantastic for you :( It was a godsend to my group of friends and I, especially because it was so close to school (being from boarding school we needed to get lifts everywhere by parents). The souffle is amazing. I think my main dish at the time was some kind of fish meal, possibly salmon which I found really good. It is a little on the expensive side I suppose but damn that dessert looks good.

secretsunday    Aug 29, 11:22 PM    #

20. lol took me a while to realise what you meant by Chateau Warragamba! That french onion souffle gratin looks like the ultimate dish of my dreams… so much cheesy goodness!

Jacq    Aug 30, 11:29 AM    #

21. Looks a bit hit and miss – I don’t like awkwardness over water in restaurants.. it always detracts from the overall experience!

Ladybird    Aug 30, 12:06 PM    #

22. The last time I ordered a cheese souffle it tasted only of egg, and my face was the colour of sad. Want that!

Hannah    Aug 30, 01:28 PM    #

23. Hmmm how very odd re: the string. The sirloin sounds awesome.

Helen (grabyourfork)    Aug 30, 03:54 PM    #

24. completely unrelated but i like your hair! so cute!

Eesh    Aug 31, 12:14 AM    #

25. everything looks so delicious!
    also i really love your dress, soo cute!!

Christine    Aug 31, 07:51 PM    #

26. oooh cheeesie <3
    can’t believe they left the string on! :/ lol when i read ‘noods blood orange’, it translated into my mind as ‘nose blood orange’ and i was like ew wtf nose blood?! ehehe

Vivian - vxdollface    Aug 31, 10:37 PM    #

27. The gratin looks sinfully delicious – already craving something cheesy!

bhavani@ameanderingmango    Sep 1, 06:14 PM    #

28. French onion souffle gratin – YUM! And you look purrrrrrrty with curled hair :)

catty    Sep 2, 10:18 AM    #

29. You look very pretty despite holding that knife haha and that chocolate pudding looks delicious!

Ellie    Sep 3, 04:28 PM    #

30. I want that souffle gratin!!!! I don’t think I’ve ever had anything which looks as rich as that ;) And the chocolate pudding!

Von    Sep 3, 11:28 PM    #

31. I can never get past ordering the sirloin steak with the cafe de paris butter everytime I come here. I guess you can’t go past the chocolate dessert in the same way :)

chopinandmysaucepan    Sep 4, 02:28 AM    #