Gnome Espresso & Winebar, Surry Hills

17 May 2012, 04:02

So you know how I went a lil crazy and ate at Mad Spuds Cafe 3 days in a row? Well I kinda went and did it again, this time I took a little mosey on across the road and landed at Gnome Espresso & Winebar (536 Crown Street, Surry Hills) where surprisingly there is only one gnome on display. And giving us the finger the cheeky bugger! I have a thing with gnomes, the boy hates them so it’s my dream one day to fill the back yard with gnomes and see how long it takes him to freak. But that’s another story so moving along now.

OH HOW IT OOZES! Behold! It is the one, the only, the Super Grilled Cheese Sandwich ($12)! Cheddar + gruyere + buffalo mozzarella + prosciutto = FREAKING AWESOMES!!! My heart melts at the sight of equally melty cheese trying to escape it’s carbohydrate confines. I made it thru about 2/3 of that insanely tasty sandwich before having to admit defeat and eat some salad to balance out all that richness. But oh how I have dreams about that sandwich.

A coupla days ago, FFichiban brought a friend to the hood (HIHI JELLY!) so back to Gnome we go and this time I’ve gone for the Deli Board ($20) which is freaking massive especially with a whole basket of fresh baguette slices. The chicken liver pate isn’t as smooth as I’d hoped but is still pretty tasty schmeared inch thick onto the crusty bread. Surprisingly I loved the salami, generally I’m not a huge fan of the cured meat but those slices along with the smooth curls of prosciutto were carefully rationed. The fat wedges of cheese were a blue d’Auvergne Cantorel and Telegraph Road triple cream, both incredibly rich and so delicious. I don’t like pickles so I stayed away from them (“ugly little gherkin” teehee).

The Mini Beef Burger ($10) is a steal, the meat patty is juicy and smothered in glorious Swiss cheese and topped with a tomato relish.

Aaand then yesterday it seemed like perfect weather to try the Spicy Meatballs in a Mozzarella and Tomato Sauce ($14), opting for the meatballs on a baguette over a bowl. The meatballs are ginormous creatures, juicy hand shaped lumps of meat drowned in a rich tomato sauce and a sprinkle of parmesan cheese.

Gnome does takeaway too but I’m dying to drop by after work and try the dinner food as well as the drinks menu which are reasonably priced for the area. Love how they also thoughtfully provide shawls for each table as the temperature plummets and look forward to trying everything on the menu.

Gnome Espresso and Winebar on Urbanspoon

1. I really liked Gnome – like you did. Its so small but packs so much atmosphere. The menu options are really good too.

Sir and Mlady    May 17, 07:14 AM    #

2. Best grilled cheese sandwich ever! Flat white sooo smooth!

Ramen Raff    May 17, 08:04 AM    #

3. Where’s the gnome? I want to see his finger! Hahaha! Look at that mini burger. Looks regular size to me. Helloooooooooooooo oozing cheese…. mmm

Tina @ bitemeshowme    May 17, 08:08 AM    #

4. Arghhh that grilled cheese is GLORIOUS. Curse you and your amazing lunch options!

Steph    May 17, 08:59 AM    #

5. Stumbled across Gnome one night after dinner at Toko. It looked inviting so we stopped for a deli platter and a bottle of red. It was such a great way to end (continue?) the evening.

Will definitely stop by again if I’m in the area.

Detective Chow    May 17, 09:02 AM    #

6. Awww, want that crazy cheese sando and salumi!!! Coffee is supposed to be real good here ;)
    I like gnomes but can definitely see their scary, serial-killers-at-night side.

Tina@foodboozeshoes    May 17, 11:06 AM    #

7. Wow, all of that looks delicious – I shouldn’t be looking at your blog right before lunch!
    Deli platter and grilled cheese is right up my alley!

thesuzchef    May 17, 12:52 PM    #

8. Oh my… That is the sight dreams are made of. Look at that oozy cheese. My heart is fluttering

Phuoc'n Delicious    May 17, 02:10 PM    #

9. Dinner is delicious but breakfast and lunch are definitely the best.
    The deli platter looks awesome!

Hilda    May 17, 02:32 PM    #

10. OMG! look at that stretchy cheese!

tastyfoodsnaps    May 17, 04:53 PM    #

11. Holy. Stretchy. Cheesy. Goodness. That looks like my idea of heaven!

SarahKate (Mi Casa-Su Casa)    May 17, 05:01 PM    #

12. Hello back from Jelly! I think this is my favourite post so far ^^

— Jelly    May 17, 08:29 PM    #

13. That looks like incredible food. I love the cured meat board – I could sit there for hours. And as for that toasted cheese sandwich – how decadent. I could only manage that with a large glass of red xx

Hotly Spiced    May 17, 09:48 PM    #

14. that grilled cheese sandwich looks epically good!

Jacq    May 17, 10:28 PM    #

15. The super grilled cheese sandwich is awesome, and so are their bloody marys!

Helen (grabyourfork)    May 17, 11:43 PM    #

16. Gnome is a neat corner cafe. I’ve had a few late night munches with coffee and friends there before after a theatre play over at Belvoir before :)

Sophie @ teathyme    May 18, 12:05 AM    #

17. i love this place! great coffee, great food!

gastronomous anonymous    May 18, 09:31 PM    #

18. Grilled cheese coma!

joey@FoodiePop    May 19, 07:39 AM    #

19. OMG that gruyere! Now all I want is oozey cheese

Nic@diningwithastud    May 19, 01:24 PM    #

20. mmmm cheese!! I’m moving offices in Aug close to surry hills, and gleefully compiling a list of places I’ll have to visit around there! Adding this :)

Karen missklicious    May 19, 10:03 PM    #

21. cheeeeeeeeeese! yum~

twee-eats    May 23, 11:56 PM    #

22. That is one helluva cheese sandwich! Gotta head down to Gnome and chow into that thing!

Forager    May 24, 08:13 AM    #

23. that antipasto board looks so yummy! But I think the cheese grill wins as the best looking thing on the page :)

angela@mykikicake    Jun 3, 06:22 PM    #

24. I love Gnome… I visit every single week.

penny aka jeroxie    Jun 14, 10:44 PM    #

25. I want to eat ALL the cheese…

Chanel    Jun 20, 12:32 PM    #

26. oh man that cheese sandwich just made me salivate all over my keyboard! im taking my boy there, he will love it!

milkteax    Jun 26, 10:44 PM    #