Alio, Surry Hills

18 June 2012, 01:42

EDIT: Closed It’s been 6 years since I was last at Alio (5 Baptist Street, Surry Hills). I refuse to link to the post because I sound exactly the same with only marginally better photos haha oh the shame! So birthday dinner was awhile go and my memory is all kinds of fuzzy thanks to wine, old age general gold fish memory but the stand out of the night was the freaking incredible Antipasti Plate ($30)! That there is a board of awesome! Slices of bresaola, salami, ribbons of prosciutto, gorgeous coppa, salty sweet spanish white anchovy, creamy buffalo mozzarella, wedges of grana padano, marinated mushrooms and olives, truffled dwarfed peaches and cheesy bread sticks with a freaking spicy Nduja salami paste. Why so tasty?!

Thanks to the unbelievable downpour that hit Sydney, I couldn’t resist ordering the Stracciatella, a soul warming Roman chicken broth with cheese ravioli ($22). The brilliant staff knew the boy and I were sharing this and were lovely enough to split it into 2 bowls for us <3 Just as well too because I think I wouldn't have shared because it was so tasty!

I’ve been stalking justlikenonna and colepiper over Twitter and IG and knew I had to get the risotto which changes every coupla weeks. The flavour of the week was the incredible pecorino with a drizzle of 25 year old balsamic vinegar ($30) over perfectly cooked risotto that had the right amount of bite and creaminess in it.

Noods cannot resist the Linguini alle vongole ($30) with garlic, chili and parsley as he has a weak spot for all in the clam kingdom and clears the plate in record time.

Oh how I love sparklers!

Aaaand dessert time! A semi sweet orb that was rich and chocolatey and covered in nuts, with a side of macerated berries. It was the perfect dessert that evening especially in the cosy and warm restaurant and we were extremely reluctant to leave and brave the cold. We’ll definitely be back to try the dego! Or maybe get one antipasti plate each…

Alio on Urbanspoon

1. The antipasti plate looks like all kinds of deliciousness and ha, I just made risotto on the weekend. And how sweet that they preemptively split the soup into two bowls for you :)

Helen (grabyourfork)    Jun 18, 01:48 AM    #

2. The antipasti plate looks and sounds amazing! Prosciutto mmmmmm. I totally hear you on the gold fish memory haha.

'chelle    Jun 18, 02:34 AM    #

3. wow. it all looks amazing. i used to live just metres from alio, yet i only went once in seven and a half years and that was seven and a half years ago. siilly me.

ragingyoghurt    Jun 18, 03:52 AM    #

4. Naw look at that sweet sparkler shot. A big yum to the linguini!

john@heneedsfood    Jun 18, 09:01 AM    #

5. that anti pasti platter looks like the bomb diggity! So spoilt with birthday celebrations. I’m lucky just to have one. haha

Tina @ bitemeshowme    Jun 18, 11:01 AM    #

6. LOL Suze I can totally relate to not wanting to Link to previous posts :) But your photos look amazing now and it looks like a great place to dine in and get some nice tasty Italian food ~ now i’m craving some Anitpasti too after Jamie Oliver’s appearance on Masterchef!

Daisy@Nevertoosweet    Jun 18, 12:42 PM    #

7. oh yum! the cheese ravioli in chicken broth sounds like a great dish to have on a rainy day

Vivian - vxdollface    Jun 18, 02:02 PM    #

8. The antipasti looks amazing – with all of my favourite things!
    lol – everyone’s gonna be searching for your last post :D

Tina@foodboozeshoes    Jun 18, 06:40 PM    #

9. Holy risotto! That sounds incredible. I’m such a sucker for dishes like that… simple but with perfect ingredients. yum!

SarahKate (Mi Casa-Su Casa)    Jun 19, 05:37 PM    #

10. I love this place – the Stracciatella is AMAZE! Ah I need to go again soon!

Anna @ The Littlest Anchovy    Jun 19, 06:01 PM    #

11. Ooh, I love risotto and that looks dee-vine!

joey@FoodiePop    Jun 20, 11:26 AM    #

12. The cheese ravioli in broth looks amazingly delicious – perfect for the rainy weather we’ve been having! Will have to check this place out for sure now. Thanks!

bhavani/ameanderingmango    Jun 20, 11:49 AM    #

13. OMG that antipasti plate! YUM!!

Nic@diningwithastud    Jun 20, 05:32 PM    #

14. was the sparkler for your birthday!? it feels like your birthday has been a month long affair!! :)

Jenny (minibites)    Jun 21, 11:10 PM    #

15. yum!! the cheesy ravioli and the pecorino risotto look amazing! :)

Cappucino    Jun 22, 12:41 AM    #

16. The stracciatella looks really really good!

Sara @ Bellly Rumbles    Jun 27, 12:55 AM    #

17. The risotto and balsamic looks so simple but a great taste experience. And that dessert whoa! Thanks for sharing

Gareth    Jun 27, 03:42 PM    #

18. What an amazing birthday dinner! Never had stracciatella before but it looks great but somehow I keep thinking of a TV commercial about stracciatella….

Ragingcravings    Jun 30, 08:56 PM    #

19. This is my favourite kind of pasta (Linguini alle vongole). I’ve eaten many versions of it, I think it’s alio’s time!

Emma    Jul 29, 04:43 PM    #