Wilbur's Place, Potts Point

9 September 2012, 18:26

Absolutely loving this weather right now! So over the weekend the boy and I just happened to be in the hood and with this gorgeously sunny weather we’ve been having we managed to stumble into Wilbur’s Place (34 Llankelly Pl, Potts Point), a tiny hole in the wall eatery that smells awesomely like bacon.

The lunch menu items that day were slim, only the Suckling Pig Roll, Mustard Pickles, Dill Mayo & Crackling ($12) was available. And it was delicious. Even with my most hated herb of all time (die dill die) the roll was amazing. The slabs of of porky flesh was freakishly tender and with just the right amount of creamy fat but the best part? That giant tile of golden crackling! CRACKLING BABY YEAH! How much do I love thee? Bloody amazing. Salad innards of lettuce and pickled cucumber lift and brighten all the flavours and all too soon the roll disappears.

The breakfast menu has substantially more items available and Noods has chosen the Big As Breakfast ($18) which comes with crisp rashers of bacon, a pile of plump baked beans, a muddle of sauteed spinach, two sunny side up eggs, a pork & fennel sausage and 3 fat vine ripened tomatoes. The brekkie, while tasty, isn’t quite as big as Noods had hoped and with very little persuasion we decide on dessert.

DESSERT TIME IS MY FAVOURITE TIME! Check out this Ice Cream Sambo ($12)! Is this not the most beautiful thing you have ever seen??? BEYOOTIFUL! It just screams EAT MEEEEEEE! The slices of buttery brioche is surprisingly crisp and holds a slab of ice cream that is covered in a GLORIOUS CARAMEL GLAZE. It is eyes roll to the heavens amazing. High 5 to the Bourke Street crew for creating the very awesome Wilbur’s Place!

Wilbur's Place on Urbanspoon

1. What is it about dill? I hate it too! But I love the look of this cafe. What a great name xx

Hotly Spiced    Sep 9, 09:27 PM    #

2. Have been meaning to get here for ages. Crackling. I need it. Now.

Helen (grabyourfork)    Sep 10, 02:11 AM    #

3. Crackling in a roll is the shizz!!

Ramen Raff    Sep 10, 06:36 AM    #

4. I LOVE dill & I LOVE pork crackling…that roll would suit me just fine. Dying to get to Wilbur’s place…one day I hope.

Miss Piggy    Sep 10, 09:59 AM    #

5. Man that ice cream sandwich. Why don’t more places have ice cream sandwiches?!?

Christine @ Cooking Crusade    Sep 10, 11:24 AM    #

6. i miss their suckling pig sambo! best sambo ever… and that ice cream sandwich looks amazing!

gastronomous anonymous    Sep 10, 12:19 PM    #

7. That ice cream sambo looks glorious!

Excuse Me Waiter    Sep 10, 09:56 PM    #

8. OMG dessert is ALWAYS the best, and that sambo makes my heart sing.

Hannah    Sep 11, 07:00 AM    #

9. The suckling pig roll looks great! hahaha i never used to like dill either but Scandinavians eat lots of dill, so I had to quickly get used to it. At least it’s not covered in coriander ewwwwwwwwwww.

catty    Sep 12, 02:55 PM    #

10. Pig roll – yes please! And leave dill alone, I likes it :)

Tina@foodboozeshoes    Sep 13, 10:12 AM    #

11. Dill + Pork + Crackling = Heaven! So hungry after reading this post!

SarahKate (Mi Casa-Su Casa)    Sep 13, 11:04 AM    #

12. How good is this place?? You should try the croque monsieur next time you go, that was a BEAST, it was absolutely amazing!

Cappucino    Sep 13, 08:31 PM    #

13. The ice cream sambo looks maaaad but that wonky caramel border makes it look so fug >:{

Alana    Sep 13, 09:42 PM    #

14. OMG that ice-cream sambo is definitely what I like for breakfast :P and Im with you DESSERTS IS ALWAYS THE BEST!

Daisy@Nevertoosweet    Sep 14, 12:30 AM    #

15. Mmm. Crackling! <3

Sophie @ teathymes    Sep 16, 08:44 PM    #

16. been on my list to try for so long but i know they don’t have much indoor seating so will wait til the weather is warmer but omg that icecream sammich looks real good!

Vivian - vxdollface    Sep 16, 11:28 PM    #

17. had me at crackling on a roll but that icecream sandwich looks beyond amazing!! Going asap!

Hannah@MissMarsMade    Sep 20, 03:28 PM    #

18. That is the sambo of my dreams!

diningwithastud    Sep 21, 02:48 PM    #

19. Anything with crackling is simply DEVINE!! omg…
    BUT just looking at that Ice Cream Sambo picture has my mouth watering like CRAZY! Then I read your description and I know I need a tissue to wipe my mouth from drool!!

Next Stop Food    Sep 27, 11:52 AM    #

20. the suckling pig sandwich is freaking amazing!!! and the ice cream sandwich looks amazing, makes me sad i didn’t get it when i went last time!

ellen    Oct 7, 10:20 PM    #