Flour and Stone, Woolloomooloo

17 September 2012, 01:14

Oh HELLO beautiful. That’s right it was about time I went to check out Flour and Stone (53 Riley St, Woolloomooloo) after jealously drooling over pics on Instagram and knew I just had to try the famed Pannacotta Lamington ($6). And check that out! What a beauty! It was a pretty massive lamington (not that I’m complaining) and well there is no other word to describe the innards without using the word moist but indeed it was moist and surprisingly light and fluffy. I loved the coconut flakes which was so much more preferable to the dreaded desiccated coconut and was so freaking happy with the generous layer of rich chocolate on all sides.

Noods refused to partake in a breakfast of desserts so he ordered the Boiled Free Range Eggs & Soldiers ($8.50) which came with the cutest pink beanie for the eggs nawww I’m such a sucker for novelty and spotted other egg cosy’s with animal designs. The eggs were perfect, gooey egg yolk centers just begging for the toasted sourdough slices to take a dunk.

The main reason we were here was for the donuts cos yep I’m still on my donut craze. On offer that weekend was a Lemon & Ricotta Donut ($4.50) which was tangy but not as sweet or creamy as I had hoped and a Raspberry & Vanilla Custard Donut ($4.50) which was jam packed with oozy sweet filling and had a perfect dusting of sugar that of course showered me the moment I took a bite. I happen to be the world’s messiest eater.

Noods was still hungry so he ordered the Slow Braised Lamb, Potato and Rosemary Pie ($7) which seriously just kicks all other pies to the kerb with its gloriously flaky pastry and freaking tender lamb. It is AMAZING. The rosemary just makes this pie out of this world and the sprinkle of salt is the perfect balance of awesome. We ended up buying another 2 pies to take home for dinner and I just cannot stop raving about it. NEED MORE PIE IN MY IMMEDIATE FUTURE.

I couldn’t resist the Salted Caramel and Dark Chocolate Tart ($5.50) which almost defeated me! I was put into a food coma after this tart, with its buttery pastry and gooey layer of caramel and bittersweet dark chocolate. Definitely the kind of dessert that you want to snuggle with in a beanbag and get all comfy and enjoy without sharing with anyone oh yes..

Packets of gingerbread and cookies by Cookie Couture are also for sale

Flour and Stone has an unassuming shop front and we totally missed it on our first loop around the area but it’s location is forever etched into my brain because I need more pies stat.

Flour and Stone on Urbanspoon

1. I saw the first pic of the lammo and said hellooooooo as well. So much deliciousness. And that pink egg cosy must have been especially chosen for Noods :)

Helen (grabyourfork)    Sep 17, 01:31 AM    #

2. What an amazing breakfast to behold! Gotta love me some salted caramel choc-tart one day. And the egg is such a cute idea, I’m a sucker for those types of things too xD~!

Sophie @ teathymes    Sep 17, 01:41 AM    #

3. i love this place and i happen to work near it… dangerous! you got to have everything i missed out on! except the pannacotta lamington tho! the chicken, leek and tarragon pie and hazelnut torte is also very nice!

milkteaxx    Sep 17, 08:56 AM    #

4. I’ve yet to try the pies but their cakes and pastries are seriously good. Can’t wait for the next time I’m there :)

Simon @ the heart of food    Sep 17, 10:10 AM    #

5. I’d come here just because of the egg beanie, it’s too cute! Oh and the food looks pretty awesome too especially the pie

Brenda    Sep 17, 10:44 AM    #

6. Jealous. I was thinking about going on the weekend for the lamington but just never made it… Now I want the pie too…

Tina@foodboozeshoes    Sep 17, 11:12 AM    #

7. Oh man everything looks so good! Especially that salted caramel and chocolate tart. And the donuts. And the pie. Mmmm.

Christine @ Cooking Crusade    Sep 17, 11:26 AM    #

8. How cute is the “egg cozy”. Adorable. And that lamington – it’s getting quite the reputation around town.

Miss Piggy    Sep 17, 11:57 AM    #

9. pie pie pie! need to get me some pie and lamington and donuts from flour and stone asap! the raspberry and custard one sounds awesome

Jacq    Sep 17, 12:02 PM    #

10. Salted Caramel…Nomm!!! and the eggs look so cuttee!! lol. Absolutely love your blog :D
    Was super awesome meeting you @ Amy and Basil’s wedding last night. Thought I’d leave a ‘lil comment like you said :)

Ming Hua Ho @ helloitsming    Sep 17, 12:44 PM    #

11. ahh the life, a rich decedent tart and a bean bag!

Flick Your Food    Sep 18, 08:45 AM    #

12. Hardboiled eggs and toast and chocolate caramel slice are two defining flavours from my childhood! I want to go to here!

Hannah    Sep 18, 09:31 AM    #

13. That egg has a hat! SO cute. I’ve got to try the lamington… looks yummmmmy!

SarahKate (Mi Casa-Su Casa)    Sep 18, 11:17 AM    #

14. The egg beanie is so cute! I loved the lamington here, so delicious!!

Missklicious    Sep 18, 11:24 AM    #

15. All i hear about these days and all i see all over my instagram feed is damn Flour and Stone! Does that mean I have to go?!?!? I’m sure I will, 3 months after it isn’t cool anymore like i usually do hahah. so slllowwww i am.

catty    Sep 18, 09:15 PM    #

16. Aw yea, showered by a sugary doughnut is the real deal LOL.

Adrian (Food Rehab)    Sep 18, 09:21 PM    #

17. love the cakes here! amazing stuff :) sad that i don’t work nearby anymore.. used to be 5min walk away!

Vivian - vxdollface    Sep 18, 10:38 PM    #

18. Gonna say that pie looks delicious, you can almost imagine the sound of that first crunch…><

Mina@My Hunger will go on    Sep 19, 05:17 PM    #

19. This looks amazing! Especially the lamington and choc tart1

thecasualfoodblogger    Sep 20, 09:13 AM    #

20. ZOMG I want that lamington! Totes on my list for my next eating trip.

Iron Chef Shellie    Sep 20, 12:25 PM    #

21. That pie sounds almost too good to be true! There’s only one way solution…I must have one!

I Heart Cabramatta    Sep 21, 09:40 PM    #

22. NOM that Lamington Panna Cotta! And nawww at the little beanie for the eggs; so cute! :)

Cath @ ConfessionsofaGlutton    Sep 22, 03:41 PM    #

23. I was trying to decide what I would try first if I went there based on your pictures – truth be told… I can’t decide. It all looks amazing.

Amanda@chewtown    Oct 1, 03:33 PM    #

24. I totally love this place! It is my secret Saturday morning hide out breakfast place. And yes, I have cake for breakfast every Saturday and there is nothing (much) wrong with that. Noods does not know what he missed out on! Have you tried their apple tart? That is my favourite…and I can convince myself it is healthy enough for breakfast. Just apples and a few other little things, right?

spiceandmore    Oct 8, 01:55 PM    #