Grain Bar, The Rocks

29 October 2012, 02:28

Yep, it’s a branch. So like, I’ve been counting down the days until I could visit the newest bar to hit Sydney- Grain Bar at the Four Seasons Hotel (199 George St, Sydney). After spying this post I was eagerly awaiting the Red Claw Yabbies and had all these plans to write about Pinchy and gorging on sweet yabbie meat but alas! They have been pulled from the menu! Devastated but still hungry, we order a round of beers and sette back into the comfy leather banquette seating at the edge of the room to people watch. The food menu is by consulting chef Hamish Ingham from Bar H so I was pretty damn excited about what was to come.

The Old Man’s Fried Salt Bush ($12) is one giant plate of fried awesomeness that is ridiculously addictive. The leaves are coated in a light tempura batter that is crunchy, salty and just freaking moorish. Wash it down with a cold one and it’s the best bar snack ever!

I couldn’t resist the Steamed Brioche with Smoked Trout Roe ($6 each), the brioche was so incredibly light and cloud-like and topped with a generous amount of trout roe that popped with briny goodness. Noods of course takes one look and shoves the whole thing in his mouth before giving it a thumbs up.

At first glance, I wasn’t sure if the Lardo on Toast ($14) was burnt but it was in fact a caramelised layer of sweet black garlic paste. Not too sure why the slices were propped up on itself as half the toppings were starting to tumble down but we made sure to eat every last morsel. The ribbons of pork back fat was creamy and oh so delicious and I couldn’t help but close my eyes when the fat just melted on my tongue. Noods had never eaten or heard of lardo before and started chanting MMM FAT SANDWICH. I tuned him out but yes that was one tasty fat sandwich.

The Wild Kingfish Tartare ($19) was a smash hit, the perfectly uniform cubes of kingfish with the paper thin shavings of pickled beetroot made for a flavour explosion on the deep fried seaweed crackers.

Aaaand then there was the Grain Burger and Fries ($21). Oh em gee. The pulled beef short rib? AMAZING. I could eat a bowlful of the stuff with a spoon and be so freaking happy. The pickled slices of radish were at first mouth puckeringly tart but proved to be a refreshing crunch in this super rich burger. The fries were golden and delicious too but oh those juicy shreds of short rib! I will return for you!

But hey now we couldn’t leave without trying some dessert! The Custard Tart Cream ($10) arrives in a bowl with 3 buttery shortbread biscuits beside it. I think I was expecting an actual tart filled with a custard cream so was a little disappointed but Noods loved it because he is fanatical about anything that resembles a creme caramel. The custard is smooth and has a layer of a slightly bitter but sweet caramel and topped with a sprinkle of heady cinnamon. We have reached near explodey point and while still saddened about the lack of Pinchy in our lives I know I’ll be back for that burger!

Grain Bar on Urbanspoon

1. Omg that burger looks amazing… So hungry right now!

Kiki    Oct 29, 03:07 AM    #

2. haha fat sandwich! love it.

Helen (grabyourfork)    Oct 29, 03:09 AM    #

3. Oh man! Been wanting to try this joint! I got my eye on that Grain Burger. Pulled beef short rib you say? mmmmm

Ramen Raff    Oct 29, 08:02 AM    #

4. lardo? FAT SANDWICH?! haha Noods is too awesome. Isn’t lardo used in banh mi? Well, I always thought it was.. thats why it tastes so good! lol

Tina @ bitemeshowme    Oct 29, 09:19 AM    #

5. Ack, no more yabbies?! :( Oh well, at least we still have pork fat toasties…

Tina@foodboozeshoes    Oct 29, 09:51 AM    #

6. woah pulled beef short rib? /faint

Christine @ Cooking Crusade    Oct 29, 10:00 AM    #

7. i still havent had the chance to try bar H so maybe ill make my way over here instead! that kingfish tartare looks amazing!

milkteaxx    Oct 29, 11:55 AM    #

8. loving all these new places in Sydney.. but bummed i am not around to check them out!
    the burger looks amazing!

gastronomous anonymous    Oct 29, 02:37 PM    #

9. lol fat sandwich – I could totes go for one of those right now!

Jacq    Oct 29, 03:27 PM    #

10. Me want smoked trout roe brioche.

joey@FoodiePop    Oct 29, 04:29 PM    #

11. OMG!! I want EVERYTHING there. give meeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Food is our religion    Oct 29, 08:13 PM    #

12. OMG indeed! LIKE the sound of pulled beef short rib. But errr, how in hell did ya wrap your mouth around that?!

Adrian (Food Rehab)    Oct 29, 09:12 PM    #

13. mmmm.. that burger does look awesome!

Melissa    Oct 29, 10:59 PM    #

14. I can’t go back the fried saltbush! Oh man, with beer that looks and sounds incredible.

Hannah    Oct 30, 07:28 AM    #

15. ooh they didn’t have dessert yet when i went but i’m in love with the place! loving the decor and those steamed brioche buns were my fav :) keen to try the lardo on toast next time!

Vivian - vxdollface    Oct 30, 11:38 AM    #

16. the pulled beef short rib sounds so yummy with fries! mmm

tastyfoodsnaps    Oct 30, 08:47 PM    #

17. I’m always amazed at the places you find. This one is practically in my backyard. I want the fried leaves! :P

Cass @foodmyfriend    Oct 31, 03:16 PM    #

18. Me wants ze burger! Mmm pulled beef short rib..

Riley    Nov 1, 04:26 PM    #

19. That Lardo on Toast sounds absolutely amazing!

Excuse Me Waiter    Nov 1, 10:20 PM    #

20. Ah that saltbush is amazing! It would be great to come by for a bite without having to go to Kables – especially just for that burger!

Cath@confessionsofaglutton    Nov 2, 01:15 PM    #

21. we loved the fish burger as well

sydneycool    Nov 4, 10:12 AM    #

22. I really REALLY want to try the saltbush here – it looks so crunch & good.

Miss Piggy    Nov 8, 02:56 PM    #

23. Am I the only one immaturely giggling at “Old Man’s Fried Salt Bush”?

Nic@diningwithastud    Nov 15, 12:25 PM    #