Fuku Restaurant, Sydney

11 November 2012, 04:36

I love Japanese food. The clean flavours, how everything tastes so fresh and light and how refreshing and delicious Japanese beer is… It was a weeknight and I was craving salmon but Noods didn’t want sushi and after a wander around World Square we stumbled upon Fuku Restaurant (Shop 1103, Level 1, 644 George St, Sydney), opposite Din Tai Fung. The staff were extremely friendly and while food was a tad slow to begin, once the first dish rolled out the rest soon followed in quick succession.

After ordering a round of Sapporo and Asahi beers (on tap woot!), we start off with Kingfish Carpaccio ($12.50), which was incredibly fresh and tangy with the ponzu dressing. There may have been a standoff over the last piece but it pays to be quick with your chopsticks haha

Salmon Aburi Sashimi ($12.50) arrives with the Assorted Sashimi (Small Serve, $15- I think.. receipt got smudged). The aburi salmon is seared on the edges with a smokey flavour and topped with a sweet jam/relish I can’t quite place but it is amazing and I may have bargained my “allotted” share of sashimi in exchange for the rest of the aburi salmon. Noods is a huge tuna and kingfish fan so this worked out well or we may have had another staring competition heh

Grilled Sweet Miso Glazed Eggplant ($9.50) aka Nasu Dengaku aka best vegetarian dish ever is always a must whenever I see it on a menu and it didn’t disappoint with soft innards and an addictive sweet and slightly salty miso paste. The lotus root chips were a fun decoration that we used to scoop out the eggplant but I kinda wished they were deep fried to be more crunchylicious.

Saikyo Miso Black Cod Sugiita Yaki ($17) came with a bit of a show- a lid was covering the plate and the cod was wrapped in a thin cedar wood with the edges still alight.

The smell was incredible, heady and aromatic and the cod was perfectly succulent and tender and just the right amount of smoky flavour without being over powering. Best tasting fish I’ve had in aaaages!

We’d been warned that we had over ordered but we couldn’t resist the Sake Steamed Clams with Grilled Scallop, Calamari and King Prawns ($27) and it was just so beautifully presented and tasted every bit as good as it looked (but we’ll just ignore the whole foam thing yeah?). I’m not a big fan of clams but Noods is fanatical of all things mollusc and soon strips the shells clean while alternating between spoonfuls of the broth zomg the broth! There was just enough butter in it for me to feel satisfied but enough sake in it to balance the flavours so it wasn’t too rich. The baton of crusty baguette sure became useful to mop up the remnants!

Aaaaand what’s a meal without dessert? Noods has never before had so much ponzu in his life so we had to order the Yuzu Pannacotta with Green Tea Ice Cream ($9). The pannacotta is firm without being overly gelatine-y and just the right amount of wobble and citrus zing to be a refreshingly light dessert. We were blown away by the food and the fact we hadn’t been to Fuku sooner so I know we’ll be back soon to try more dishes!

Fuku Sake n Wine Restaurant on Urbanspoon

1. Sounds like a very nice place! I also love nasu dengaku, you should try out nazimi next to qvb, best eggplant ive had.

milkteaxx    Nov 11, 01:11 PM    #

2. Mannn that nasu dengaku looks like one of the best I have seen!

Food is our religion    Nov 11, 01:38 PM    #

3. I love this place! Their wines are also really good :)

— Belle    Nov 11, 06:14 PM    #

4. Wow, that looks great! Definitely on my list to try out soon as well :D

Jen    Nov 11, 11:58 PM    #

5. Ooh this place looks great! It used to be Tokyoria which wasn’t a great Jap restaurant.. but this new management seems to be whipping up real delicious food :) I love nasu dengaku too ^^

Vivian - vxdollface    Nov 12, 12:11 AM    #

6. That smoked cod looks soooo good. I wonder if they smoked the cod separately as well.

Tammi    Nov 12, 09:57 AM    #

7. I am a huge lover of japanese food too. Kingfish carpaccio is one of my favourites. But damn, that miso eggplant looks so delicious. That glaze is making hearts pop out of my eyes.

Tina @ bitemeshowme    Nov 12, 10:22 AM    #

8. ooooh, looks good. This venue seems to have gone through so many iterations already, I can’t keep up. I like the looks of the sake shelf though ;)

Tina@foodboozeshoes    Nov 12, 11:11 AM    #

9. Wow – I had no idea this place existed. I love Miso Eggplant & Renkon Chips..together = genius!

miss piggy    Nov 12, 12:42 PM    #

10. man that eggplant looks good! I’ve had miso cod served with the burning cedar wood at Yoshii which was amazing – this one sounds just as delicious.

Jacq    Nov 12, 12:56 PM    #

11. That eggplant looks so good! What a great little restaurant :) Nothing better than really fresh Japanese food. Yum!

Cass @foodmyfriend    Nov 12, 04:36 PM    #

12. Japanese is the cuisine of my heart. This looks incredible!

Hannah    Nov 13, 01:01 PM    #

13. Mmm tastes like burning. And why does that nasu dengaku give me images of you going stab stab with the renkon? lol

Helen (grabyourfork)    Nov 13, 01:06 PM    #

14. Nasu dengaku is DEFINITELY the best vegetarian dish ever! Love it. I think I saw your mothership instagramming pics from here and thought it looked delicious!

catty    Nov 13, 03:58 PM    #

15. I love this place. To death. Now you’ve blogged it I’m betting it’ll be a hell of a lot harder to get a table there. Ah well. :)

lau    Nov 13, 05:17 PM    #

16. Love the look of that Carpaccio, I haven’t had any form of sashimi in too long :(

Mr C @ The Food Diary    Nov 13, 05:20 PM    #

17. wow! everything looks delicious! i must try some of these meals when i visit australia. thanks for this post!

— christian    Nov 13, 07:21 PM    #

18. I love the look of everything and the fact that there isn’t a hint of Japanese mayonnaise anywhere in site! There has been too much of that squeezed in abundance over everything and I’m allergic to it! :D

gummi baby    Nov 14, 10:14 AM    #

19. Sticky awesome eggplant :D

Nic @diningwithastud    Nov 14, 08:34 PM    #

20. Is it childish that I giggled over the restaurant’s name? Hahah. That eggplant looks amaaazzzzing. I never order it enough out at Japanese… clearly a mistakeee!

Christine @ Cooking Crusade    Nov 18, 01:48 AM    #

21. That’s some serious Japanese nosh! That eggplant dish looks AMAZING (and all the grilled dishes and desserts and… ok I’ll stop now). :)

Trisha    Nov 18, 10:25 AM    #

22. Thanks for the recommendation, it’s our current favourite place!

— alwayseating    Nov 20, 09:49 AM    #

23. Japanese food is my favourite too, and I’m totally with you on Nasu Dengaku – yum! Fuku looks delish… I guess there is another reason to venture up those stairs other than Din Tai Fung!

Rynagh @ More Dinner Than Cents    Nov 24, 11:25 AM    #