Giant Snack Food Stadium

31 January 2013, 00:00

Sponsored Post. ING DIRECT was kind enough to provide $1000 to fund my experience, all opinions contained within this post are my own, and not that of ING DIRECT. The ING DIRECT Wave & Save Promotion has since wrapped up, but for more information about their Orange Everyday Bank Account, or Internet Banking in general visit the ING DIRECT website

Noods is borderline fanatical about his new soccer team the Western Sydney Wanderers FC (WHO DO WE SING FOR?) and usually he and the boys will go and watch the game if it’s in Parramatta and then grab a bite to eat afterwards.

The Super Bowl in America is coming up soon and a few of my fav U.S food blogs are posting awesome snacks they’re preparing for the game and a quick Google search led us to the idea of a snack food stadium! There’s just something about building a ridiculously large structure using food and then sharing the craziness of it with your best mates. So with a Wanderers game set for the Australia Day weekend we decided to build a stadium of food and as luck would seem I was invited to try out the ING DIRECT Wave & Save promotion and it sure came at a great time lol

First, getting ready our junk food needs. The time I’d get home from work is usually around the time that most supermarkets start to close so I hit Coles, Woolworths, IGA and Harris Farm on separate days, keeping my shopping trips under $100. Amounts under $100 meant I could use the PayWave Visa Debit Card which was awesome because I didn’t have to stop to sign a receipt or attempt to remember my pin! Aaand there’s 5% cash back of all contactless purchases under $100 until 30th of June 2013 for the first 30,000 new Orange Everyday customers! So it’s totes like I got a discount. Sweet. The Pay and Wave system is still pretty new but check out the Wave & Save Merchant Locations.

Ready to build? Step 1, enlist a minion who fancies himself a builder using foam art boards and cardboard boxes lying around the house.

Step 2, make sure structure is relatively stable to hold weight of snacks.

It took Noods about a week of slowly designing the stadium and a lot of trial and error pieces but here we go! All taped up! We also lined the insides with cling wrap and the top deck and hot food section were covered with foil.

Step 3, slowly fill up your stadium and arrange order of snack foods. I went the sweet and savoury side route and colour co-ordinated my foods.

Of course it’s always good to make sure your structure is sturdy otherwise you turn away for one second and the sounds of Jaffas falling everywhere will make your heart skip a beat! Nuuuuu Jaffas EVERYWHERE!

AAAAAAND TADAH!!!!!! One sexy food stadium ready and waiting for all your pre game needs with the Red and Black Bloc supporters!

My ‘healthy’ side of the stadium starting with the lower decks: smoked trout dip, carrot and cucumber sticks, good ol 80’s cubed cheese, twiggy sticks, a wheel of double brie, crackers, olives, Kettle Chilli Chips, Cheezels, corn chips & salsa aaaand pork crackles. Top deck had babaganouj, pistachio & blue cheese dip, shaved honey ham and prosciutto.

Other side of the stadium contained our hot food section with mini pies, sausage rolls and potato gems tee hee it’s been too long since I’ve had potato gems! The stands were filled with mini Oreo’s, Tiny Teddies, rainbow popcorn, Pods, Cheese and Bacon Balls, Chicken Twisties, pretzels and the top stand was layered with pepperoni and slices of Jarlsberg cheese.

Fields of green! Originally we were going to use guacamole for the grass but we were worried it would discolour so I whipped up a kilo of buttercream with a crapload of green colouring. Looking back we should have used gummy men for the players but eh. Wafers line the stadium as ‘advertising’, held to the sides with toothpicks.

Enough with the photos! ATTTTTAAAAAAAAAAACCCCCK!

With no end in sight we chuck the perishables in the fridge and glad wrap the whole shebang while we take a break for a poker game or two.

Breaking down the stadium we pack the leftovers into party bags to take to work. It will probably last us for the next month or so. Diabetes here we come!

Aaaand I leave you guys with a less junk food overloaded photo. We had leftover funds on the card so one last trip for groceries for the animals at the RSPCA Yagoona shelter of fruit and veg for the bunnies, dog food, kitty litter, treats and toys.

The information provided on and made available through this website does not constitute financial product advice. The information is of a general nature only and does not take into account your individual objectives, financial situation or needs.

1. i was looking forward to this post! your amazing ideas never fail to surprise! awesome work once again, esp with thinking of the rspca!

milkteaxx    Jan 31, 12:44 AM    #

2. I totally would’ve attacked the party pies and cheezels. And the jaffas for dessert.

And sniff I love you Suze. An awesome gift for all the wee animals <3

Karen | Citrus and Candy    Jan 31, 01:06 AM    #

3. WOAH. I’m shocked that you’re not an American, as making an entire stadium dedicated to snack food is a totally American thing to do! I’m super impressed by how intricate it is,

Dayna    Jan 31, 02:55 AM    #

4. Truly awesome Suze.

Only you’d do something like this!! :)

Richard Elliot    Jan 31, 04:02 AM    #

5. That’s pretty awesome!

Holiday Baker Man    Jan 31, 04:02 AM    #

6. now THIS is what you call epic. well done to noods and yourself for creating yet another food stadium. Bet this was a winner with everybody – what’s not to love?

Tina @ bitemeshowme    Jan 31, 07:54 AM    #

7. Love it Suze. Showed my fanatical wsw husband and he was mighty impressed!

muppy    Jan 31, 07:56 AM    #

8. love it! will be stealing this idea :) now all i need is a minion.. haha. nice way to spend the rest on the animals too :)

Vivian - vxdollface    Jan 31, 08:56 AM    #

9. I felt slightly ill that night after all the junk lol! But well done to Noods for building a sturdy stadium to withstand all the foods. Are you still finding Jaffas around the house?

Jacq    Jan 31, 08:59 AM    #

10. Bahaha! Awesome. Should this come with a ‘don’t try this at home, kids’ warning? ;)

Mary @ beyondjelly    Jan 31, 09:52 AM    #

11. SO AWESOME! Sad I missed out on all the junk foods. Love what you did with the leftover money

Steph    Jan 31, 10:18 AM    #

12. So…much…foods! (And sneaky Jaffas.)

But nawww…bunneh!!

Rita (mademoiselle delicieuse)    Jan 31, 10:53 AM    #

13. Oh man, looks epic! Too bad I missed out :( Big props to you for giving the animals gifts of food!

Ramen Raff    Jan 31, 11:01 AM    #

14. WE SING FOR WANDERERS!!

Have I mentioned how awesome you (and Noods) are? So sad that I missed out. Also, good on you for donating the rest of the money to RSPCA!

Phuoc'n Delicious    Jan 31, 11:11 AM    #

15. This is epic! So cool!

Row    Jan 31, 12:21 PM    #

16. That is so awesome! Very creative and must’ve been a lot of effort to build.

Louise    Jan 31, 12:34 PM    #

17. nice one suze. though I find it hard to imagine you playing poker haha

— koji    Jan 31, 01:28 PM    #

18. Now that’s a stadium I want to visit!

Helen (grabyourfork)    Jan 31, 01:31 PM    #

19. Omgoodness…That is SO EPIC!! Pure awesomeness. I am just so amazed that words pretty much fail me! Also, how do you stay so freaking slim??? ><! haha.

Dumpling Love    Jan 31, 02:19 PM    #

20. I love your mammoth designs, first the tim tam colloseum and now this!

TOO AWESOME!!!

Thanh    Jan 31, 04:58 PM    #

21. Very very glad to see the picture at the very end – I was thinking it was a post purely about excess and consumption, but glad to see you put those leftover funds to good use.

— Elle    Jan 31, 06:48 PM    #

22. ummmm this is awesome, just beyond awesome.
    Heidi xo

Heidi - Apples Under My Bed    Feb 1, 10:15 AM    #

23. THAT IS SO COOL!!! I love all your crazy ideas Suze :D Hehe, it definitely would’ve been fun to attack this stand. And so good of you guys buying food for the animal shelter!

Sherrie @ Crystal Noir    Feb 1, 10:28 AM    #

24. i’ve been dying for this post since i saw your instagram and you did not disappoint! AMAZING!!!!!! You’re a genius Suze!
    Think I’d be lingering on the unhealthy side of that stadium :)

emma    Feb 1, 10:59 AM    #

25. my usual seat is now double brie heaven

— jb    Feb 1, 11:07 AM    #

26. This snack stadium looks incredible! And it makes me so happy you bought food and accessories for the RSPCA :)

Swah    Feb 1, 05:06 PM    #

27. Epic win. Awesome. Just. Awesome. AND YOU CUT YOUR HAIR! Nice, it suits your face!

YaYa    Feb 2, 05:26 PM    #

28. Bags be in the pie stand. Love it, great idea Suz!

Gareth    Feb 3, 12:30 AM    #

29. Wow that looks interesting I wish I could make something like that :)

Miss K @ The Food Diary    Feb 3, 03:28 PM    #

30. LOL loved the way you wrapped everything up, literally!

food is our religion    Feb 3, 05:58 PM    #

31. That stadium is insane! You guys are really talented :)

Excuse Me Waiter    Feb 3, 09:11 PM    #

32. OMG this is AMAZING ahhaha I have never seen so much junk food before and displayed so nicely!!! This is definitely the best way to celebrate SUPERBOWL!!!

Daisy@Nevertoosweet    Feb 4, 12:39 AM    #

33. This is insane and I love it!

Su-Lin    Feb 4, 10:20 AM    #

34. Lovee this! Another awesome creation! I would be totally pathetic constructing this though. Looks like Noods was pretty handy!

Christine @ Cooking Crusade    Feb 6, 09:15 AM    #

35. Didn’t think I could love you guys more but after this post I certainly did. Major respect to you for thinking of the animals at the RSPCA :)

Brenda    Feb 8, 09:57 AM    #

36. what a brilliant idea and so well executed too!

char    Feb 16, 02:13 PM    #

37. This is just AMAZING! I have seen it done on a few other sites before but i love yours!
    So unhealthy though haha- would love to see some with fruit and veg in there too :)

Dilhara    Feb 27, 02:58 PM    #

38. What a brilliant idea and I love your pressies for the animals at the rspca – so generous

Corrie    Mar 20, 04:20 PM    #