La Paula, Fairfield

25 February 2013, 00:23

Oh haiiii! So like, what’s up with this rain? I feel like I need to get an ark or something! With all the soggyness everywhere I had a mad craving for an empanada. A fried one. And one stuffed full of cheese. So off we went to La Paula (1/9 Barbara St, Fairfield) to warm our souls with empanadas and of course desserts.

Step inside, immediately look left and check out the dessert counter! YEAH BABY! Enough sweets to make my soon to be cavities drop out of my molars. I placed and paid for my lunch order at the counter and then decided to order a dessert to eat while waiting because I was bordering hangry aka angry and hungry.

A box of Flan ($3.50) is pretty close to perfect, eggy, light and with the perfect amount of golden caramelly syrup. It is my idea of the perfect comfort food/dessert and ended up buying another one to take home and eat while swaddled in blankets.

A fat wedge of Torta 3 Leche ($4) is also procured although it is not quite as tasty as the flan. The cake part itself is ahem moist and the layers of dulce de leche is of course sweet and smooth but the frosting on the outside weirded me out a tad, it was fluffy and white but had no taste! Not of cream, not of milk and not even of sugar! It was just.. white..

The first of the real food arrives: Pupusa ($3). The menu said ‘cheese and pork crackling filled tortillas” but er well I couldn’t taste any pork crackling just meaty pork nubbins making sweet sweet love with stretchy cheese and enveloped in what tasted like a corn pancake? Pretty damn tasty and hellooo charred edge goodness! The pupusa came with side bowls of cabbage salad and watery tomato sauce but didn’t really need it.

The boy has chosen the Lomito Completo ($9.80) a burger stuffed full of tender slices of pork, tomato, sauerkraut and a dollop of creamy mayonaise. I’m quite enamoured by the buns which are freakishly light and the mayonaise for some reason reminds me of kewpie mayo which isn’t bad because hey keypie mayo is awesome.

And of course, the Empanada de Queso ($3.40). Piping hot and fresh from being baptised in oil, the empanada pastry is golden and flakey and that home made cheese filling? Streeeeetchy!

Aaaand one last look at the holy land of sweets, with possibly a sweet round of Alfajorde ($2.90) for the road. I managed to not take a photo of it because it was crammed into my mouth before we had even left the store. I’m classy like that.

Parking yo. Park close to avoid the rain! Or you know, for less walking.
La Paula on Urbanspoon

1. Cheeeeeesy! Love Paula Cafe and their cheese empanadas. So dericious!

Helen (grabyourfork)    Feb 25, 01:38 AM    #

2. yay for stretchy cheese! and there’s nothing wrong with eating dessert first :)

Jacq    Feb 25, 09:07 AM    #

3. Love that cheesy first photo. No better image to portray the empanadaaaaaaaaaa! I had my first taste of tres leche cake in the states. Bloody gold. Hmm interesting that the “topping” was flavourless. wonder what it could have been?

Tina @ bitemeshowme    Feb 25, 09:13 AM    #

4. hangry? LOL love it! Although the opportunity doesn’t always come often, I love eating out farrrr west. The prices are cheap cheap!!

Food is our religion    Feb 25, 07:17 PM    #

5. im loving your logic! order dessert while waiting and parking closer for less walking. win!

milkteaxx    Feb 25, 08:52 PM    #

6. I adore you for posting, and hopefully having eaten, the dessert first. High five.

Hannah    Feb 26, 02:37 AM    #

7. Been wanting to come here for the longest of times :D Hehe stretchy cheesy empanada goodness!!

Sherrie @ Crystal Noir    Feb 26, 08:42 PM    #

8. hahaha hangry! I get angry when I’m really hungry too.

This place looks great – look at all those desserts! I would have decision making issues here (one of everything please)

karen missklicious    Feb 27, 07:58 AM    #

9. oh man, now im hungry!! this place looks great – wonder if i be bothered making the trek… will add it to the list.

and the concept of dessert as an entree is the best thing ever haha :)

emma    Feb 27, 12:04 PM    #

10. LOL!!! I thought I was the only person that made the trek out there for empanades and the Leche dulce desserts. I was introduced to this place by a Chilean boy about 21 years ago!!

GourmetGetaways    Feb 27, 12:10 PM    #

11. Looks nice, from the outside I wouldn’t have thought to go in!

Dilhara    Feb 27, 02:55 PM    #

12. Now that’s gooey!

Holiday Baker Man    Feb 28, 06:39 AM    #

13. “pork nubbins making sweet sweet love with stretchy cheese” – ahhh, isn’t love like this beautiful?

Tina@foodboozeshoes    Feb 28, 03:29 PM    #

14. I love that you have dessert first. That empanada is making me swoon!

Anna @ The Littlest Anchovy    Mar 1, 04:38 PM    #

15. Love your new do! Your posts always make me so hungry. Food envy!

Cass @foodmyfriend    Mar 2, 09:18 PM    #

16. This place looks absolutely divine! I must make a pilgrimage out to Fairfield to try it

Swah    Mar 5, 05:10 PM    #

17. Hmmm I wonder if the white stuff on the leche cake was whipped egg white perhaps? It looks white and fluffy enough.

Loving your new ‘do!

Cath @ ConfessionsofaGlutton    Mar 7, 03:03 PM    #

18. How good is La Paula?! All I can say is I’m glad I DON’T live anywhere near it because I would be there way too much!

Hannah @ thegirlmusteat    Apr 2, 10:17 AM    #