Fish Place, Surry Hills

11 March 2013, 01:35

Office locals in the Surry Hills area are always watchful for new places opening up especially if it’s something different to the standard sandwich or salad shop. So we rejoiced when word finally came that Fish Place (70 Foveaux St, Surry Hills) opened last week. Run by Adam de Launay previously of The Smokehouse fame, the Fish Place building is hard to miss, covered in shiny sardine tin print.

The menu is short and sweet, from fish pies and smoked salmon bagels to the classic fish and chips and the prices are pretty decent for the area.

Every morning salmon and ocean trout are smoked out back, ready for all your bagel needs. Man I wish I lived next door. Fish is pretty high on my favourite food list. With bacon. And fried chicken. And donuts. Oh and cake. But seriously I heart salmon! And cod!

So one sunny day saw some peeps from the hood meet up for lunch. I chose the Hot Smoked Salmon with a side of Potato Salad ($12.50) and it is beeeeautiful. Check it out! Slab of salmon? Check. Perfect in every way? 3/4 check. I minused 1/4 because I could totes eat 2 pieces. What? I get hungry at lunch thanks to my ‘must-not-snack-before-lunch’ self imposed rule. Afternoon snacking is a whole nother story.

Missklicious has chosen the Fish Pie ($8.50) which I forsee will be a winner when winter rolls around. It is super comforting with morsels of fish buried under a blanket of creamy mash. A side of salad was also procured but uh i have nfi how much extra it was nor did I try it doo di doo..

For Vxdollface it is the Smoked Ocean Trout with a side of Potato Bake ($12.50). While I preferred the salmon over the ocean trout the potato bake kicks my potato salad to the kerb.

Ramen Raff only has eyes for the Battered Fish with a side of Green Pea Mash ($12.50). The fish was pretty damn awesome. The batter is golden and surprisingly not greasy, and the pea mash makes me feel like I am a responsible adult eating my greens willingly.

Ah and there was some chips! The fries are fat and crispy and at $3.50 for the Chippy Cup it’s pretty reasonable and er dangerous for the mid arvo munchies.

There’s some window seats at the counter but head around the corner to the back to the super cute courtyard where herbs grow from treasure chests and ironing boards are tables.

Would be awesome if they were licensed but it’s all good cos I’ll definitely be back to try the bagels which I hear are out of this world!
Fish Place on Urbanspoon

1. You cracked me up with: “Fish is pretty high on my favourite food list. With bacon. And fried chicken. And donuts. Oh and cake. But seriously I heart salmon!” I have too many favourites too…

Jackie McMillan    Mar 11, 01:45 AM    #

2. These prices are out of this world!! Looks good too! Can’t wait to try it

Lawrence (FightTheCraving)    Mar 11, 01:58 AM    #

3. We headed here last week too. Will definitely have to get the pea mash next time. And the fried fish!

Helen (grabyourfork)    Mar 11, 02:07 AM    #

4. We gotz to have green in our diet somehow right? lol mmmm the golden crisped batter on that silver dory was amazing!

Ramen Raff    Mar 11, 06:37 AM    #

5. this place looks awesome! cheap fish and cheaps feed! and potatoes are my absoulte fav!

milkteaxx    Mar 11, 09:36 AM    #

6. I wish there was a place like this near my work – I heart fish!

Jacq    Mar 11, 10:28 AM    #

7. Oh my, that fried fish looks perfecto!

lau@corridorkitchen    Mar 11, 11:49 AM    #

8. i sure do miss my old hood! will check it out when i am back in Sydney next! that fish looks good!

gastronomous anonymous    Mar 11, 12:43 PM    #

9. I love the outside of this building – it looks like a cartoon land place.

Miss Piggy    Mar 11, 01:24 PM    #

10. This place looks delish and it’s so close to uni – i know where i’ll be going for lunch tmrw!

Eileen    Mar 11, 06:27 PM    #

11. hahah love the outside print of this place, tooo cute! daily smoked fish yumm. sounds super delicious and good prices too!

Christine @ Cooking Crusade    Mar 11, 07:22 PM    #

12. I love the exterior – very clever & attention drawing!
    Food, despite the great price, also looks to be fantastic – fresh, care taken with preparation. Can’t wait to try it!

thesuzchef    Mar 11, 09:53 PM    #

13. Wow nice find, what the trading hours? food looks so good

Doos    Mar 11, 10:11 PM    #

14. Wish I worked closer to where all these places are opening! Love the walls of the building. Surely it can’t be missed?!

Tina @ bitemeshowme    Mar 11, 10:49 PM    #

15. dat salmon, going on Wednesday!

Cooksuck    Mar 11, 11:08 PM    #

16. OH OH OH! THANK YOU FOR SHARING THIS NEW FISH AND BAGELS PLACE <3

Kelly @ MsBrulee    Mar 12, 04:13 PM    #

17. Looks delicious! Definitely another place to add to my list of places to go

Hilda    Mar 12, 05:29 PM    #

18. Oooooh that looks good. How does the fish n chips compare to that place on Devonshire??

catty    Mar 12, 08:26 PM    #

19. OMG .. I read fish pie and was secretly hoping it was chosen!!
    Then I see it and I’m dying to try it!!
    Must. Find. A. Day. To. Go. Pronto!
    Though the potato salad did look so good too! ^^

Cassie @ Next Stop: Food    Mar 12, 10:15 PM    #

20. I love how it looks outside and food looks delish :) Quite affordable too! Wish we had this in Melbourne too!

Daisy@Nevertoosweet    Mar 13, 09:43 AM    #

21. Yes! Bagels next week? haha

We polished off your potato salad when you left :)

Vivian - vxdollface    Mar 13, 12:36 PM    #

22. What a funky exterior! And I luuuuuurve salmon it is just too good :D

Sherrie @ Crystal Noir    Mar 13, 11:49 PM    #

23. OMG, love the look of this place. Okay the food looks great too.

Sara @ Bellly Rumbles    Mar 15, 01:45 AM    #

24. What a distinctive building and delicious looking food.
    I’d
    Be pretty happy to have this place near my office too ;)

Gourmet Getaways    Mar 15, 08:55 PM    #

25. I’m always down that street! And I love smoked salmon! Perfect.

Neil    Mar 17, 07:01 PM    #

26. This is such a cute place!! You are so lucky to be working so close to all these awesome finds.

Food is our religion    Mar 17, 09:52 PM    #

27. Food looks awesome. Cannot wait to try!

— Eddie    Mar 20, 09:54 AM    #

28. Man, I wish I lived next door, too!

Gaby    Mar 23, 10:40 AM    #

29. OMG yum, I must get there asap!

Erin@TheFoodMentalist    Mar 24, 09:02 AM    #

30. SALMON! Omg I love salmon so much. Definitely a place that’s on my to-go-to list now!

Cath @ Confessions of a Glutton    Mar 24, 04:06 PM    #

31. Hi!
    Fabulous review, we all love you at the Fish Place!
    Our trading Hours however are 10am to 8:30pm Monday to Friday.
    Thank you!

Adam de Launay @ Fish Place    Mar 27, 06:34 PM    #

32. I saw the brightly painted facade the other day thinking, what the hell?! Thanks for enlightening me :)

thecitygourmand    Mar 29, 11:42 AM    #