Bourke Street Bakery, Surry Hills

26 April 2013, 00:20

Ahhh my precious… Just look at that beauty! Doesn’t it make you want to lick the screen? It is the one and only Ginger Brulee Tart ($5) from where else?

Bourke Street Bakery (633 Bourke St, Surry Hills) of course! Land of delicious baked goods! It’s dangerously close to work and with everything under $12 but averaging around the $5 mark makes this bakery a hot spot with the office workers and ahem hipsters :P Beware the queues if you come too late though!

Lunchies! Every now and then some humans will join me in the partaking of sausage roll awesomeness. There’s a couple of tables outside or head across the street to the park and enjoy the last of the sunshine my friends!

The Pork and Fennel Sausage Roll ($4.50) gets the trophy for BEST SAUSAGE ROLL EVERRRR!!! A log of minced pork with a scattering of fennel seeds is lovingly cocooned inside incredibly flaky pastry which WILL shower you with pastry flakes everywhere no matter how carefully you try to eat it!

The Beef Brisket Pie ($5.30) is also pretty awesome, more of that glorious pastry holding chunks of tender and damn tasty beef bathed in a rich gravy.

The Vego in the group orders the Baba Ganoush, Cucumber, Parsley, Lemon and Fetta Sandwich ($9) and smashes it in record time.

And then there’s the Mushroom, Spinach and Fetta Quiche ($4.50) which is a bit on the small side but packs a punch of tastiness.

But wait, how can you visit BSB without scoring some desserts!?

LOOK AT HOW IT GLISTENS. Seriously guys, the brulee tarts are out of this world! I’ve had the strawberry tarts previously but the ginger tarts are by far the most delicious with creamy custardy innards, caramelised sweet ginger layer and a crisp buttery tart shell. Bloody awesome.

The Lemon tarts ($4.50) are also top notch with a ridiculously addictive sour lemon curd filling.

Definitely want to try more of BSB’s menu but I just can’t ever go past that sausage roll…

Bourke Street Bakery on Urbanspoon

1. Talented baker!

Holiday Baker Man    Apr 26, 03:49 AM    #

2. Aahh the good ol’ BSB and it’s mighty ginger brulee tart. The Marrickville outlet stopped doing it for a while but pressure from the public made them change their mind. I could do with 2 now!

john | heneedsfood    Apr 26, 07:15 AM    #

3. I wish I worked near here…my favourite is the strawberry creme brulee!

angela@mykikicake    Apr 27, 09:24 AM    #

4. I don’t think I’ve ever seen a creme brulee that looked so thoroughly bruleed, in a good way. I miss them having an outlet on george though. =(

Tammi    Apr 27, 08:24 PM    #

5. The ginger brulee is a tart of awesomness!!

Sherrie @ Crystal Noir    Apr 27, 08:34 PM    #

6. My standard order here is never to be tampered with – pork & fennel sausage roll & a sweet tart, depending on what’s available. If brûlée is there, that’s the go, otherwise I am quite partial to the raspberry, chocolate & marshmallow one too!

thesuzchef    Apr 28, 09:10 AM    #

7. I love BSB! My fav has got to be the passionfruit meringue but it always seems to get sold out! =(

Food is our religion    Apr 28, 10:09 PM    #

8. always gotta grab me some take away when making a trip here. it’s what i prioritise even before thinking about what to eat in! haha

Tina @ bitemeshowme    Apr 29, 08:45 AM    #

9. I heart their ginger tart brulee too!! So much!

Ramen Raff    Apr 29, 10:05 AM    #

10. I adore the brisket pie, for breakfast especially :)

Tina@foodboozeshoes    Apr 29, 10:45 AM    #

11. I have to say Suze, your experience looks much better than any that I have had at this place. That tart looks wicked!

Cass @foodmyfriend    Apr 29, 12:27 PM    #

12. The ginger brulee tart is my fave by far. So much dericious!

Helen (grabyourfork)    Apr 29, 01:00 PM    #

13. OMG that ginger brulee tart looks amazing!! That pic is seriously making me drool. I need to have one now!

Chris @ MAB vs Food    Apr 29, 01:46 PM    #

14. That ginger brulee tart is sooo good, i always grab it before uni on a monday – it makes my monday mornings so much better!

Eileen    Apr 29, 11:05 PM    #

15. now i’ve got a hankering for their sausage roll and brulee tart!

Vivian - vxdollface    Apr 30, 12:04 AM    #

16. I just want to pick off the sugar shell and nibble it forever.

Hannah    Apr 30, 08:03 AM    #

17. Okay now you’ve done it. I HAVE to go back some time soon before I die of BSB withdrawal :) (I really like the look of the quiche).

Mr C @ The Food Diary    Apr 30, 07:23 PM    #

18. Ohhhhhhh About time! Those brulee tarts are incredible! I wish I could make them. You’re a talented baker. You should really try your hand at making some!

Mr.C    Apr 30, 07:54 PM    #

19. and I really like the beef brisket pie….. NOM

penny aka jeroxie    Apr 30, 10:59 PM    #

20. Ahhh, could you ever get tired of those sausage rolles. NEVER!

Michael Shen    May 1, 02:31 PM    #

21. Those simple foods are the best! Just what you need to have a brilliant morning :)

Mina @ My Hunger will go on    May 1, 04:04 PM    #

22. I’ve been to the bakery, and it is divine. You end up wanting to try everything. I’ll be going back there soon.

Tania @ A Perfect Pantry    May 2, 01:16 PM    #

23. Omgoodness, I made sure I paid the bakery a visit when I went to Sydney this year!! Let’s just say I spent A LOT! Beef brisket pie is awesome but my fav item is definitely the ginger brulee tart. Oh and not to mention the croissants! Damn..if only there was super-express shipping to Perth =P haha.

Dumpling Love    May 2, 04:50 PM    #

24. Ahhh that ginger brulee tart, still have to go back for that one. And for that sausage roll. And for that pie.
    Geez.

Cath @ Confessions of a Glutton    May 2, 08:51 PM    #

25. Sydney seems like such a beautiful place. The food looks absolutely delicious too!

Hunni    May 4, 12:06 AM    #

26. Yayyy!! I’m very happy for you that you’ve gotten the chance to visit this beautiful place, I love this place oh so much – and you’re right, that ginger brulee tart is damnnn sexy, and it’s one of the only forms using ginger in dessert that I would come back to eat time and time again! Everytime I visit BSB, I buy a ginger brulee tart :) Andd I bought the BSB e-recipe book a few months ago too!! Can’t wait to try recreate that deliciousness!

Tina @foodfortina    May 5, 12:56 PM    #

27. Reading your blog is one of life’s simple pleasures. Really enjoy reading your posts and the hungrifying pics. So jealous you can eat all this delish food and stay so petite :)

— Sue    May 7, 10:45 PM    #

28. I have got to try one of these ginger brule tarts. Heard so many good things

Chefs in Shorts    May 23, 02:19 PM    #

29. Great post, I really like the picture. The Van reminds me of my college roadtrip.

novelty USB Sticks & Flash drives    Jul 4, 05:13 PM    #