Sake Restaurant, The Rocks

13 May 2013, 02:22

To all the mothers out there, hope you had a great mother’s day! The Wong/Thye clan took the Mothership to Sake Restaurant (12 Argyle St, The Rocks) and we managed to nab the last reservation for the first dinner session. It is incredibly dark in Sake and I only managed to take this photo on my iphone hence the not so great photo above (sorry Mum!)

We start off with the famed Kingfish Jalapeño ($22), fat slices of fresh kingfish bathed in the tangy deliciousness that is yuzu soy and topped with jalapeno and coriander.

The Mothership is the biggest fan of grilled miso eggplant so a serve of Nasu Dengaku ($18) is a requisite order, a drizzle of light and dark miso paste on eggplant that is unctuously soft and creamy.

The Brother Unit requested the Crispy Chicken ($16) which satisfied our need for deep fried with juicy chicken and golden crispy batter. We couldn’t get enough of the accompanying sauces either, alternating bites with schmears of the spicy jalapeno sauce and refreshing tomato salsa. I’m happy to say I’m slowly moving my way up the chilli tolerance scale! The trick is to ignore the burning..

The Sashimi Tacos ($17) were bloody amazing BUT $17 for 2 tacos and 2 shots of sake hurts when you’re a table of 6 = $51. I mean, the tacos are freaking awesome, crisp shells filled with diced salmon or tuna sashimi with a dollop of chilled tomato salsa. But yeah. Ouch.

Salt & Pepper Tofu ($12) were pillow soft cubes of comfort. Like a hug! For your insides! That sounds a tad wrong so let’s move along now shall we?

The Steamed Prawn Dumplings ($17) are adorable and ridiculously delicious with the spicy ponzu dipping sauce. Like, I would’ve loved some alone time with that steamer basket. The dumplings are Chinese-inspired shumai but instead of wrapping the prawn innards with a single wrapper they are tossed in finely sliced gyoza wrappers before being steamed.

We were worried the Sashimi Combo ($47) would be too massive for us so I chose the Aburi Sushi Selection ($27) instead. I heart aburi anything mainly because I love seared smoky flavours. Tastes like a good kind of burning! We didn’t think cutting up everything would work so it was each man for themselves. I managed to score the salmon which has the perfect ratio of fatty belly to sweet rice.

The Brother Unit chose the Spider Maki ($18) because he loves soft shell crab and who am I to argue when it was pretty damn tasty especially covered in all that tobiko!

Who doesn’t love tempura?? The Scampi Tempura ($36) had a light and crisp batter and was piping hot from duh being baptised in oil. The scampi portions were surprisingly large and we eyed each other off for the last piece.

Big Dada is a fan of of pork belly in all forms and I am a sucker for anything with gooey eggs which meant we absolutely had to order the Buta no Kakun ($28). Huge chunks of the 12 hour braised pork belly are nestled around the onsen 64C hens egg which Noods took great delight in stabbing. When the dish first arrived we could smell truffle oil which felt a bit out of place but luckily couldn’t discern much in the dish. Next time I’ll order this with a bowl of rice to soak up all the meaty juices.

Bill worked out to be $400/6 people which was a bit pricey but well, we are in the touristy area and everything was delicious and I guess in hindsight we should’ve gone with the degustation menu as the prices would’ve worked out the same. I’m always wary of special menus on those celebratory days but the service at Sake was spot on and it was nice that they gave each mother a bouquet of flowers. So in the words of Rove, say hi to your mum for me!

Saké Restaurant & Bar on Urbanspoon

1. Alone time with the steamer basket eh? lol. And hi Mrs Thye!

Helen (grabyourfork)    May 13, 02:52 AM    #

2. Pork belly looks shiney & juicy! & nestled around onsen eggs?! Whoa!

Ramen Raff    May 13, 06:02 AM    #

3. What a lovely way to spend mother’s day! Love the kingfish jalapenos – my all time favourite dish at sake!

Tina @ bitemeshowme    May 13, 08:50 AM    #

4. I agree … the prices at Sake are quite high, but the quality of food is worth it. Save the visits for special occasions.

angela@mykikicake    May 13, 09:08 AM    #

5. I’m always wary of special event menus too cause of rushed food & service but it sounds like you all had a good mother’s day dinner :) Love their tacos but yeah a tad pricey

Vivian - vxdollface    May 13, 09:12 AM    #

6. Mmmm, been too long since my last Sake visit… Yeah ouch, but sake shooters!

Tina@foodboozeshoes    May 13, 09:26 AM    #

7. I always end up ordering the aburi option too – yum! Food looks great

missklicious    May 13, 02:32 PM    #

8. Whoa, sake’s menu’s always changing. Keeps giving me an excuse to go back. Pity my mum was overseas so didn’t have an excuse to eat out :(

Michael Shen    May 13, 06:42 PM    #

9. Love photos especially the first one!:)The Sashimi Tacos looks so adorable!

Nessy Eater    May 13, 07:17 PM    #

10. Big fan of Sake but haven’t been for a while now. Your photos have made me want to go back!

talkandspoon    May 13, 09:35 PM    #

11. What a great place to celebrate mother’s day! Great photos! Everything looks yum! I need to try the kingfish jalapeño

Chris @ MAB vs Food    May 13, 10:00 PM    #

12. Love Sake but agree that it is ouch on the wallet. Quality food, but you have to order so much to get full! My favourite dishes are the jalapeno kingfish, the dumplings, the scampi. Next time I will have to try the tofu, love how you described it!

thesuzchef    May 13, 11:14 PM    #

13. I love how you described the tofu! Like a hug! Brilliant. 17 dollars for 2 tacos on the weeee little side and shots is pretty steep. Ouch indeed.

Mr.C    May 14, 01:36 AM    #

14. Not wrong at all; my insides would definitely like a tofu hug.

Hannah    May 14, 07:47 AM    #

15. The fried chicken here is so juicy and I love the sauces that go with it. Really want to try the scampi tempura, sounds amazing!

Jacq    May 14, 12:09 PM    #

16. Thanks for a wonderful Mothers’ Day, especially with the family together. Good choice of restaurant and food. Felt special!

— @alwayseating    May 14, 01:13 PM    #

17. Eeee the pork belly looks so deliciously fatty!!

Sherrie @ Crystal Noir    May 14, 05:20 PM    #

18. I got free makan 2.

— :D    May 15, 07:21 AM    #

19. nasu dengaku is a must order when ever i see it on the menu and your mum looks lovely in the above pic!

milkteaxx    May 15, 12:03 PM    #

20. I haven’t had the pleasure of visiting this place yet (Toko comes first!), the food looks so good and nicely presented :)

Mr C @ The Food Diary    May 17, 12:12 PM    #

21. The restaurant food sounds amazing! I hope your mum ha a lively Mother’s Day !

GourmetGetaways    May 17, 05:43 PM    #

22. Everything looked delish. Have put on the “must try” list.

Deepkickgirl    May 21, 12:46 PM    #

23. This has been on my wish list for a very long time. If only it wasn’t so pricey. Would love to try every dish on the menu.

Annie @ The Random Foodie    May 30, 11:45 PM    #

24. Your post has given me ideas on which dishes to order when I dine at Sake in a few weeks time! I enjoyed reading it!! :)

Cindy (A Foodie's Joy)    Sep 8, 09:23 PM    #