Catalina, Rose Bay

21 October 2013, 02:43

Spot my parents in the corner? That’s as close to a star jump that I was able to get them to do heh. We were at Catalina (Lyne Park, Rose Bay) and the parents loved it so much we came back the following week so don’t be alarmed at the amount of dishes in this post :P

We start with Natural Oysters ($4.50 each). Freshly shucked oysters are always a drawcard and these bivalves didn’t disappoint with the refreshing lime and chilli vinaigrette and topped with a generous amount of tobiko.

The Poached Marron Tail ($36) is too pretty for words. No really. Fine ok, the marron flesh is delicately tender and sets the tastebuds a-tingle when eaten with the blood orange segments, seasonal vegetables and dots of aioli.

The special entree of the day was Foie Gras Parfait ($27) which had my name all over it. Smooth, creamy and rich, it was perfect slathering inch thick onto the slices of sourdough.

Pan Fried King Prawns ($32). You know what I love? Prawns. Do you have any idea what it’s like to live with someone who’s seriously allergic to prawns? Yep thanks a lot Noods! Nah it’s all good because he puts up with me making him eat the crusts of pizzas. ANYWAYS. The prawns were pretty darn spectacular, drenched in an addictive garlic and herb butter that had us enquiring for more bread to mop up the sauce remnants.

On our second visit we tried the Let’s Do Lunch special of Pan Fried Mulloway ($38) with braised baby fennel, jerusalem artichoke puree, kiss pepper and tomato salsa. I’m not the biggest fan of fennel, artichoke or um mulloway so I pretty much steered clear of this dish but I got the thumbs up and a cleared plate from the father unit.

The mothership has chosen the Crispy Skin Pork Belly with apple roumalade, baby vegetables, smoked celeriac puree and port wine jus ($31) and we all can’t help but coo at the garden that is presented. The pork belly is perfect with the magical balance of creamy fat and soft meaty layer and crowned by glorious crackling.

‘Glacier 51’ Toothfish sous vide with fennel purée, tomato relish, artichoke crisp and ocean trout roe ($49). The father unit was enamoured by the toothfish and upon first bite instantly declared that we should return to Catalina just for this dish alone.

Roasted Suckling Pig ($99). If there’s one thing my family is obsessed with it’s suckling pig. There’s just something that turns us into insatiable freaks that will track every single piece of mind blowing crackle to ensure we get our rightful portion. Luckily there was more than enough for all of us and the table falls silent as we demolish the pile with ease. I particularly like the side of apple purée and the parents cleaned up the braised red cabbage and raisins hiding underneath.

We can’t resist the desserts and order the Vanilla Creme Brulee ($20) which is delightfully light and with the fresh passionfruit coulis and coconut sorbet it tastes just like summer.

Of course I had to get the Banana and Salted Peanut Butter Parfait ($20) which was amazing especially with the torched bananas.

The Let’s Do Lunch special means you will need to book if you plan on visiting at lunch during Good Food Month but I reckon it’s totally worth it. Fabulous food, an amazing view of Rose Bay and special mention to the attentive service we received!

Catalina on Urbanspoon

1. Great photos Suze! Mmmm looks so good! Esp the creme brûlée and the parfait!!

Toanisanidiot    Oct 21, 03:49 AM    #

2. Oh man glorious pork belly & suckling pig! I go gaga over suckling pig & its crackles too lol That first photo is so funny! hahahaha

Ramen Raff    Oct 21, 07:17 AM    #

3. It all looks so beautiful! I wouldn’t even be able to pick a favourite. Good thing you went twice because that is a lot of food! haha and Your parents are so cute haha!

Tina @ bitemeshowme    Oct 21, 08:26 AM    #

4. Those desserts look devine. Torched bananas yum yum yum.

angela@mykikicake    Oct 21, 09:21 AM    #

5. So much deliciousness in one waterfront venue! Prawns are the best. Sorry Noods.

shez    Oct 21, 09:35 AM    #

6. Mmmmm, looks amazing – definitely my kind of food! I wish I had time to do the Let’s Do Lunches – so many great deals…

Tina@foodboozeshoes    Oct 21, 10:38 AM    #

7. The foie gras parfait looks like a slice of cake! Delicious, liver-y cake :)

Jacq    Oct 21, 12:43 PM    #

8. Wow this looks amazing! And what a beautiful view. I shudder to think of being allergic to something as delicious as prawns but I guess that leaves more room for suckling pig.

Hilda    Oct 21, 08:07 PM    #

9. love each dish and man that suckling pig is calling out for me

Food is our religion    Oct 21, 09:27 PM    #

10. hahhaa you parents are too cute!!

and wow, those photos are making me lose my mind… gimmie fooooood!

ironchefshellie    Oct 21, 09:58 PM    #

11. Dear Suze,

Catalina does their seafood so well but that suckling pig looks awesome. Looks better than some restaurants that do this dish on a regular basis.

ChopinandMysaucepan    Oct 21, 11:28 PM    #

12. Haven’t been there for ages – food looks terrific!

Napoli Restaurant Alert    Oct 22, 07:54 AM    #

13. Looks like a gorgeous lunch, Suze, and gorgeous location too. Loving your new hair by the way! Great to be back in touch xx

Ladybird    Oct 22, 12:53 PM    #

14. this place looks fab! the dishes look fresh and summery!

milkteaxx    Oct 22, 03:28 PM    #

15. I was in sensory overload with all these pics of amazing food. Trying to work out what I’d order and I couldn’t.

It all looks so darn good!

Trent @ Food Assault    Oct 22, 09:47 PM    #

16. teehee your parents are so cute :) this place has been on my radar for a while now, the dishes look stunning and sound delish! ermagherd that foie gras parfait :9

Vivian - vxdollface    Oct 22, 11:32 PM    #

17. Wow so much pork action going on! It’s the marron that’s got my heart however. It’s mad you have a whole family who likes fine dining. Mine on the other hand are really iffy.

Mr.C    Oct 23, 05:42 PM    #

18. i want that Poached Marron Tail :-)

Simon Food Favourites    Oct 23, 11:11 PM    #

19. Oh wow salted peanut butter and bananas!! That is such a good combo :D

Sherrie @ Crystal Noir    Oct 23, 11:32 PM    #

20. This place looks great!

The food looks delicious, great shots :)

-Sarah

Sarah    Oct 24, 08:47 AM    #

21. Woooo the Banana and Salted Peanut Butter Parfaittt I VANT NOWWWWWWS!!!!!

ellies belly    Oct 24, 12:24 PM    #

22. omg feli would love the foie gras!!
    and I am loving the pork and the desserts! OMG… makes me want to go NOW!
    … but we never thought to go back to Catelina after our experience last year, it wasnt so wow to us … and the service wasnt the best for what we were paying for … :(

Cassie @ Next stop: Food    Oct 24, 02:26 PM    #

23. looks at the suckling pig

I know I shouldn’t eat thee

bites

Mmmmmmmm sacrilicious…

Jambon Cochon    Oct 24, 10:09 PM    #

24. Oh My Gosh…… it all looks so good and screams summer dining out in Sydney.

sara@bellyrumbles.com    Oct 25, 10:19 AM    #

25. What amazing looking dishes!!
    I loved everything, especially the suckling big and the caramelised banana… and the pate… EVERYTHING really :)

Gourmet Getaways    Oct 26, 02:07 PM    #

26. Wow it all looks spectacular! Glad you got your prawn fix without risking Noods’s life ;D

JJ - 84thand3rd    Oct 27, 06:34 PM    #

27. Foie gras parfait! Hello! And that suckling pig looks incredible!

Helen (grabyourfork)    Oct 27, 09:50 PM    #

28. Hey chocolate suze, delicious post and amazing snaps! I remember seeing some of these delectables on Twitter a few days back. Catalina’s is on my must do list and thanks for the inspiration to get-to-it!

Alice    Nov 4, 10:56 PM    #

29. I’m loving how much light there is in that dining room! Your photos look amazing. Absolutely everything looks amazing. I used to live close to Catalina, makes me realise a trip back there should be on the cards.

Amanda@ChewTown    Nov 6, 08:42 AM    #