Love Dem Apples, Surry Hills

3 August 2014, 17:21

Love Dem Apples
They say an apple a day keeps the doctor away…

And because I value my health the only thing to do is choose my flavour of medicine!

Love Dem Apples
You might recognise these caramel apples from a stall manned by the super friendly Joe at Glebe or Bondi markets but now you can get your fix any day from Love Dem Apples (454 Cleveland St, Surry Hills), on the corner of Crown St opposite the Surry Hills Shopping Village.

Every day they make up a batch of caramel and it smelled fricken incredible in the store as the butter and sugar slowly caramelised and joined together in sweet matrimony.

Once the caramel has melted and is at the right temperature, the Granny Smith apples are swirled in the caramel and then rolled in toppings.

Love Dem Apples
If I wasn’t so scared of burning myself on molten caramel I’d totally want to work here. Except I’d probably eat all my earnings. It’s bad enough that they’re only a 15min walk from work!

Love Dem Apples
On my first visit with Helen we stood transfixed at the display for a good 10mins debating on which flavour to try. We were offered samples which was nice but ultimately made our decision harder because we wanted to eat each and every flavour haha in the end we went for the Strawberry Pop ($10) and the Tropic and Thunder ($10).

Love Dem Apples
There’s a couple of stools in the store so we chose to eat there and they offered to slice our apples which was a good idea so we could share them easily and also I know that if I had attempted to eat the apple just by biting into it then I would totally have dropped it because I am all kinds of clumsy.

So were they tasty? Hells yeah they were! Yes they were sweet but not as tooth-achingly sweet as toffee apples and the tartness of the apple itself meant I could keep on eating without feeling I was about to go into a sugar coma. I loved the Strawberry Pop which reminded me of strawberries and cream lollies and there was pop rocks and I HEART pop rocks! You all know my issues with desiccated coconut so I was happy with the fresh coconut flakes on the The Tropic and Thunder.

Love Dem Apples
Then there was the Oreo ($10) which was encrusted with cookie bits.

Love Dem Apples
And the Pretzel ($10) which was my fave because of the magic that is the sweet and salty combo.

They also sell chocolate covered bananas for $6.

Love Dem Apples
Some with cookie dough, some with marshmallow and some with 100’s & 1000s.

Love Dem Apples
Oh and chocolate covered popcorn!

And Nanaimo ($2each), a Canadian bar with a wafer/crumb layer, vanilla icing and covered in chocolate.

Love Dem Apples
Yeah baby how do you like dem apples!

The Classic Apples start at $8, Royals at $10 and Limited Editions at $13. The apples are a tad on the exxy side but I think it’s worth it to treat yoself every now and then :P Love Dem Apples is open 7 days a week from noon to late.

Love Dem Apples on Urbanspoon

1. How cool! How could you have even decided? So many options I could go a little crazy! :)

Cindy (a foodie's joy)    Aug 3, 05:32 PM    #

2. Believe it or not, I’ve never had a toffee apple :O These look super delicious!! I may or may not casually stroll by this place one of these days to eat myself into a sugar coma…

Sherrie @ Crystal Noir    Aug 3, 05:39 PM    #

3. I am so there with my little men – they look amazing – so much better than the freaky red things we ate as kids!

Rebecca (little munch)    Aug 3, 08:18 PM    #

4. I love toffee apples!!!! This is heaven for me, thanks for letting us know Suze!!

C @ delectablydegusting    Aug 3, 09:30 PM    #

5. this reminds me of America – candied apple covered in so much prettiness and yes, standing there for 10 minutes deciding which one you should order lol

Food is our religion    Aug 3, 10:45 PM    #

6. how cute is the fit out of the shop?! I like how they slice the apple too, I always have issues biting through the top layer!

missklicious    Aug 3, 10:52 PM    #

7. OMG!! I have to go there ASAP! Im so getting that pretzel toffee apple.. yum!

Emma    Aug 3, 11:11 PM    #

8. These were way too tasty! Caramel apples are way better than toffee :)

Helen (grabyourfork)    Aug 4, 02:37 AM    #

9. I gotta try the pretzel one! And that nanaimo!

Ramen Raff    Aug 4, 07:53 AM    #

10. Oh wow this is pretty insane. I wonder if some of those flavour combinations work, but damn, gotta do it for the health benefits right? :P

Michael Shen    Aug 4, 09:01 AM    #

11. OMG! Healthy food has never looked so good :P

Yvonne Tee    Aug 4, 11:49 AM    #

12. Oooh, what an interesting concept!! Hope all of those flavours work? What do you reckon?

Neel @ Spice Sugar and Soda    Aug 4, 08:26 PM    #

13. What an original and delicious store concept! Wow with all those flavours I’d be standing there for ages just gawking at them all. The pretzel one sounds right up my alley!

Maddie @ Maddie Loves Food    Aug 4, 10:29 PM    #

14. oh good god! the pretzel one looks so good up close!

milkteaxx    Aug 5, 04:42 PM    #

15. mmmm choices, choices, choices!!
    chocolate coated canadian bar? right there!

Cassie @ Journey From Within    Aug 5, 09:27 PM    #

16. Not sure this is going to keep the doc away, but would happily try all of them to check this :)

Olivia @ mademoiselleinsydney    Aug 5, 10:54 PM    #

17. I love toffee apples! Kudos to them for making fruit more fun to eat :D

Chris @ MAB vs Food    Aug 5, 11:52 PM    #

18. Geez us.. $10 for an apple with sugar…yikes!

— Nuta    Aug 6, 08:27 PM    #

19. An apple a day keeps the doctor away.

sierng    Aug 7, 10:38 AM    #

20. dem apples looks sooooo good!

gastronomous anonymous    Aug 7, 11:48 AM    #

21. think i feel like a little kid again after looking at dem apples :)

Annie @ The Random Foodie    Aug 7, 03:17 PM    #

22. Oh yes baby, I love dem apples!!

Simplicity by Sarah    Aug 7, 06:09 PM    #

23. This is a really neat concept, at least one that hasn’t been done before. I’ve had toffee apples before but never really liked the sweet-sour contrast, I think I’d come to this place for the chocolate bananas though! They look awesome. Be cool if they did strawberry/other fruit variants too!

Samantha    Aug 7, 07:03 PM    #

24. haha not sure if i was more excited about candied apples or nanamo bars! :D this place looks fricken awesome

Vivian - vxdollface    Aug 8, 12:43 AM    #

25. OH MY GOSH! Those apples are INCREDIBLE! WANT IT NOW! :O Great find!

Drool Worthy World    Aug 10, 05:27 PM    #

26. the apples look OK but when I saw the bananas in your pix I was like YESSSS. #need

the hungry mum    Aug 11, 09:30 PM    #

27. They look so good!

The Hedonist Life    Aug 17, 06:29 PM    #

28. Oh no! I wish I had of seen this story a day earlier! I was in the area and I would have LOVED! Some of Dem Apples!
    Thanks for sharing
    Julie
    Gourmet Getaways

GourmetGetaways    Sep 10, 07:49 AM    #

29. Holy crap! Just saw this place on TimeOut Sydney. I need to go!

Bernard Tsang    Sep 24, 11:54 PM    #