Oven roasted pulled pork tacos

19 May 2010, 01:15

Tuesdays are usually taco day in the chocolatesuze residence. Usually the not-so-authentic Old El Paso stuff from the supermarket with mince beef and a crapload of cheese but after watching several episodes of Man vs Food I have developed a fascination of pulled pork. According to wiki: ‘the pork, (usually shoulder cut) is cooked using a low-heat, long-cook method. With these extended times at low temperatures, the meat becomes tender enough that its weakened connective tissue allows the meat to be “pulled”, or easily broken into individual pieces.’

So I bought a 2kg pork shoulder (no bone) from the butchers the other day. I don’t have a pressure cooker and the crazy rain meant I wasn’t going to use the bbq so good ol oven recipe was needed. Except I have issues with sticking to recipes when there’s so much out there on the interwebs haha so i mixed 1/2 cup sugar and 1/4 cup of salt together and gave the pork a good rub and left it to sit in the fridge for 6 hours. After the 6 hours the porky will be sitting in a pool of liquid but do not discard! Preheat oven to 120C before sticking it in the oven skin/fat side up for 8 hours.

Yep 8 loong loooooong hours later and the porky is done! Dun worry he’s not burnt and don’t stab him halfway thru cooking ‘just to see’! Baste the porky every coupla hours with the liquids its sitting in.

It’s shredding time! Pork so freaking tender that it falls apart using just a fork!

Oh baby. Sometimes when I cook I weep.

Remnants. The skin was uber chewy but it’s better to roast the pork with the skin on cos it’ll prevent the pork from drying out with it’s fatty goodness and is heaps easy to remove once roasted. Also don’t chuck out the juices- that stuff is liquid gold man! Spoon about a quarter of it onto your shredded pork pile. I also added a tablespoon of bbq sauce so it was super juicy :D

Assembling time! Btw see those tortillas I bought? Yeah don’t use those. If I could be bothered I would’ve made the tortillas from scratch. Instead I had to run out and go buy some fresh lebanese bread which was super tasty but a bit thick and freaking huge.

Obviously I didn’t know what the tortillas tasted like when I was assembling my first one lol anywhos… whacking the taco time! (Oh George why do people make you say such cringe worthy lines on Masterchef?)

But chuck on some porky goodness, add your salsa (I used tomato, red capsicum, lime and coriander), teensy bit of shredded lettuce, a scattering of cheese, slices of avocado, some cut chillis, a dollop of sour cream and away you go!

How about a shot of tequilla? Sure! Don’t mind if I do. Perfect.

1. Tuesdays just seems like the perfect lazy day to wack out the tacos. Just look at that last photo, pure bags of flavour right there and it looks so tasty I could weep. Perrrrfect Suze.

Karen | C&C    May 19, 02:43 AM    #

2. Hey this reminds me of the Finnish Christmas ham! Well that too needs to sit in the oven for ages and ends up being so tender but not at all dry. None of that pinky ham stuff you see here. I bet this was delicious! Btw, tortillas are super easy and quick to make yourself ;)

Maria    May 19, 05:39 AM    #

3. I have some pork left overs….now they wont get wasted….nice

Manuel T. Waiter    May 19, 07:54 AM    #

4. * puts on her listening face * Oh hello piggy! I could seriously whack about 10 of those tacos right now. Looks so good Suze!

Steph    May 19, 08:09 AM    #

5. Haha! I weep too when I cook.

This looks delicious, I’d really love to attempt it. But 8hrs?! That’s a long time to be sitting in front of the oven.

Zina @ tastedbytwo    May 19, 08:56 AM    #

6. 8 hours?! Whoa, that’s pulled pork dedication!
    I’m loving Man v Food – though it makes me feel bloated just to watch it. And hungry :)

Tina    May 19, 10:26 AM    #

7. LOL! loving the masterchef chat references =D

Looks amazingly delicious. Shall be trying this fo shiz

Iron Chef Shellie    May 19, 10:39 AM    #

8. I am cooking pulled pork… and listening.

This looks ridiculously awesome Suze. I dreamt of pulled pork last night, perhaps I was channeling your reality in my dreams?

shez    May 19, 11:09 AM    #

9. Wow – a serious labour of love! Sometimes when I cook, I practice my listening face…

Forager    May 19, 11:11 AM    #

10. I love to listen with power. Tell me more..

Dude, that pork looks so good. It is not weird that I want to eat the remnants.. hrm.

Maggie    May 19, 11:30 AM    #

11. Definately labour of love there! Counting in the resting and cooking time it would probably be 3 days before I get to eat it! Looks soooo tender and delicious!

angie    May 19, 12:00 PM    #

12. hahahhah sometimes when i cook, i weep… imagining the juices with the pulled pork omg.. i want the whole tray!!

sook@nommynomnom    May 19, 12:02 PM    #

13. Wow!! So impressed. I’d be afraid of leaving anything in the oven for that long, but it looks so worth it….! Nice one.

Betty @ The Hungry Girl    May 19, 12:08 PM    #

14. And yet you said you dont cook!!! This pull pork taco is epic!

Ellie (Almost Bourdain)    May 19, 12:14 PM    #

15. Love the idea of pulled pork on tacos., they look delicious Had a a great pulled pork sandwich in the states – yum

sara @ Belly Rumbles    May 19, 12:34 PM    #

16. Looks very tasty. I have a love-hate thing with packet tortillas too. I keep meaning to drive to Fireworks Foods for their freshly made ones. So little time…

Miss Dissent    May 19, 12:59 PM    #

17. Sometimes when I cook, I weep…but not when my end product turns out like these babies! Whack me some now =D

mademoiselle delicieuse    May 19, 01:18 PM    #

18. Hee hee I bet u still gave that skin a good home?

FFichiban    May 19, 03:48 PM    #

19. i was sitting in the control room of the masterchef film studio and asked the same question “who tells george to say this stuff?!”, apparently he comes up with it himself and they love him to bits for it.

omg you should come into billy kwong and try the braised lamb pancakes :P* mmmm..

cathy x.    May 19, 07:35 PM    #

20. the meat looks so tender… Patience definately pays!! your salsa mix is fresh and tasty… YUMMY YUMMY!

Laetitia    May 19, 07:50 PM    #

21. Hmm… wish I could be invited to your place every Tuesday…

Trissa    May 19, 08:39 PM    #

22. That looks so good. Slow cooked pork is the best. My mouth is massively watering despite having just finished dinner.

yygall    May 19, 09:12 PM    #

23. oooooooh!!! it looks awesome!! would you believe my friends and I just made pulled pork for the first time the other week, in the aim of replicating Mad Mex’s ‘Carnitas’! Yay for yummy Mexican. :)

amy    May 19, 09:20 PM    #

24. Mmmm this pulled pork looks fantastic. I am fully hungry right now. Note to self don’t read food blogs after an unsatisfying dinner, you’ll just get hungry.

Mark @ Cafe Campana    May 19, 10:02 PM    #

25. The meat on this baby looks so lush I just wanna pour that whole tray of shredded pork down my throat!

Amy    May 19, 10:33 PM    #

26. I have to start cooking again. I haven’t been in the last little bit. I even got some baking stuff from a restaurant equipment store. I really like this idea. I made pulled chicken tacos, because I prefer it over pork.

— Elana    May 20, 03:26 AM    #

27. That looks fantastic. I’ve never cooked pork – other than stir frying pork fillet, but maybe now I’ll try. I bet that bit of meat wasn’t cheap though…

arista    May 20, 11:08 PM    #

28. Oooh roast pork… I think I might do that this week :)

Tonight!

Fiona    May 23, 09:06 AM    #

29. Plowing through the archives- these look fantastic- makes me remember- when went to Baja we had some with a salsa of radish, red onion and coriander- that was pretty great- also had them with pineapple salsa- fresh pineapple, jalapenos and coriander and lime. But really, it’s all about the pork, right? :)

Tori    Oct 1, 05:08 PM    #