Chinese New Year Pineapple Tarts

6 February 2013, 00:40

MY PRETTIES! I freaking LOVE pineapple tarts! I mean, what’s not to love? The buttery crumbly shortbread like base, the sweet pineapple jam with just a hint of spices. It’s my most favourite Chinese New Year snack! I haven’t made them before but it was surprisingly easy though it does take a while (like, 3 hours) to make which is why I didn’t name them ‘super easy’ haha I followed A Table For Two‘s awesome recipe but made a few adjustments because I was making open pineapple tarts not the pineapple rolls.

I could eat them all! But seriously, double or even triple this recipe! The amount of stirring means I tripled the pineapple filling and refrigerated the extras to bake later in the week. Oh and wear long sleeves- if any of the pineapple filling gets on you it will be very hot and it will burrrrrn!

Ingredients.
For the pineapple filling:
2 × 825g cans of pineapples (either sliced or pieces)
200g caster sugar

1/2 tsp vanilla extract
350g plain flour
50g corn flour

1. Strain the pineapple and dump into processor
2. Pulse until shredded.
3. Drain pineapple
4. Simmer pineapple in saucepan or wok until the juice has dried up.

5. Add the 200g sugar, star anise, 1/4 tsp cinnamon and 2 cloves and stir till the pineapple has thickened and dried.
6. Add the 1/2 cup liquid glucose and groan in despair as strands of liquid glucose goes absolutely everywhere. Stir until the pineapple filling is thick, sticky and dry.
7. DON’T DO WHAT MY PIC LOOKS LIKE I DID! I had to remake my jam because dumping in the flour will cause flour lumps so SLOWLY SPRINKLE the flour a bit at a time while constantly stirring the mixture. If you start seeing flour lumps don’t add any more flour and use a whisk to stir the lumps!
8. Continue to stir for about 10 minutes or until filling is dry and pulls off the sides. Place in freezer to cool mixture down while making the pastry or place in fridge if baking the pastry later.

9. Cream the 250g butter and 50g icing sugar together using an electric mixer until light and fluffy.
10. Beat in egg yolks one at a time, scraping the bowl in between and add the 1/2 tsp vanilla extract until well combined.
11. Add in the 350g plain flour and the 50g corn flour and beat until mixture is only just combined.
12. Roll out dough to 0.5cm thickness. Cut dough with pineapple tart cutter, if you don’t have one just use a flower cutter and indent the middle with your thumb where the pineapple jam can sit without rolling off. If the dough is too soft to handle when transferring the flowers to your baking tray stick it in the freezer for 10mins to firm up.

Preheat oven to 160C (fan forced). Line tray with baking paper and place pastry 3cm apart. Grab your chilled pineapple jam and roll tsps of jam into balls and place on pastry. Alternatively you can roll the balls of jam in one go so it’s faster for you when you bake them. I chose to not glaze my tarts but to glaze just whisk 1 egg yolk with some milk and brush the flowers. Bake for 8-10mins or until edges are JUST lightly golden. Makes about 50-60 tarts.

Aaand tray of tarts! Leave to cool before packing in air tight container.

You don’t want to know how many I can eat in one sitting…

But of course sharing is caring :P Happy Chinese New Year everyone!

1. This girl is on FIYAH!!!! :) Good thinking to doubled the filling actually! I only yield 40 tarts, and half already gone! :( so sadddd…..

Happy Chinese New Year, Suze!

billy@a table for two    Feb 6, 12:53 AM    #

2. going to get my baking on tomorrow! :D

Vivian - vxdollface    Feb 6, 01:34 AM    #

3. Oh yummy!

Holiday Baker Man    Feb 6, 05:26 AM    #

4. zOMG Suze! The shortbread was awesome and loved the pineapple jam too! Thanks for tarts! Will be attempting to make these beauties soon. Happy Chinese New Year!

Ramen Raff    Feb 6, 07:52 AM    #

5. Such patience is required to make these – what a fantastic job! They look like you could just pop it into your mouth – and another, and another, and another…!

thesuzchef    Feb 6, 09:07 AM    #

6. I’ve never had one of these!! I think that needs to change ASAP!

emma    Feb 6, 09:54 AM    #

7. I have never made pineapple tarts but I am going to try your recipe. They are so darn cute.

Katherine    Feb 6, 10:00 AM    #

8. These look delish! I love Chinese New Year!

Christine @ Cooking Crusade    Feb 6, 10:10 AM    #

9. YUM. I’m with you, I can eat an obscene amount of pineapple tarts in one sitting. They are the best when they’re open in my opinion!

Steph    Feb 6, 11:05 AM    #

10. Sharing is caring indeed :) Loved the shortbread in these. So crumbly and short.

Helen (grabyourfork)    Feb 6, 12:12 PM    #

11. Mmmm, delicious! More effort than I generally invest though, so I’ll be happy buying them for now…or eating other people’s!

Amanda    Feb 6, 12:50 PM    #

12. I’ve never tried these pineapple tarts before but they look dericious!

Jacq    Feb 6, 01:33 PM    #

13. They look oh so prettiful. Definitely ready for Chinese New Year ;)

Tina @ bitemeshowme    Feb 6, 01:48 PM    #

14. Mmmmm.. They look awesome Suze! I wanted to make a batch of pineapple tarts but laziness got the better of me. Happy Chinese New Year for the weekend Suze!

Phuoc'n Delicious    Feb 6, 05:11 PM    #

15. It’s not easy to find tasty pineapple tarts! Better DIY right? :)

Charmaine    Feb 6, 09:31 PM    #

16. Pineapple buns are the shiz!! I love how you made them into tarts – too cute!

Sherrie @ Crystal Noir    Feb 7, 12:00 AM    #

17. I made them last year! But I cheated & used bought pineapple puree from Singapore. ;P

— jessjoseph    Feb 7, 11:32 AM    #

18. Yum!! I would make these all year round. They look spectacular!

Anna @ The Littlest Anchovy    Feb 7, 04:15 PM    #

19. Wow – they look delectable, but not super easy… Hmmm

Tina@foodboozeshoes    Feb 7, 06:35 PM    #

20. Oh these look so delicious – much better than the store bought stuff – sharing is caring indeed! Happy CNY!

YaYa    Feb 8, 03:33 AM    #

21. that is my favourite

cquek    Feb 9, 04:28 AM    #

22. Happy CNY Suze! :D

Sophie @ Teathymes    Feb 9, 04:18 PM    #

23. Happy Chinese New Year!
    These look so good! I have never tried them before so I will have to try the recipe.

GourmetGetaways    Feb 9, 04:48 PM    #

24. I’m not a fan of Pineapple as a fruit but when it’s in a tart they somehow turn absolutely delish!

Miss K @ The CK Diary    Feb 10, 03:48 AM    #