Super Easy Cheesy Spinach Dip in a Cob Loaf

24 March 2013, 23:01

So like, I love dip. Garlic dip, smoked salmon dip, babaganouj, even hommus. But my favourite is this cheesy spinach dip, a dip I tried back in the 6th grade which came complete in it’s own edible bread basket. Gotta love the 90’s!

I mean, who doesn’t love dip? It’s freaking awesome and seriously the easiest snack to whip up when you have the munchies or unexpected visitors drop by. A lot of dip recipes use packet soup mixes but I tend to find them uber salty so always leave it out. Ready? Here we go!

Ingredients:
Family sized packet of spinach leaves (about 300g)
1 tub of sour cream (250g)
1 Cobb bread roll
2 cups grated cheese
1 Tbsp ground black pepper

Chuck the spinach into a pot and cook until the leaves go stringy and soft.

Like so. Take the pot off the heat.

Add in the 2 cups of cheese and mix until cheese is all melty.

Make sure the pot isn’t super hot before adding in the sour cream and pepper. Warm is ok but not hot otherwise the sour cream goes weird.

Stir stir stir. Transfer dip to container and chuck in the fridge until needed.

Take your Cob loaf and rip out the middle and its innards and arrange all pretty on a platter.

When you’re ready to eat, fill er up and tadaaaaah!

1. yum! i love spinach and this dip sounds amazing! must try it soon!

milkteaxx    Mar 24, 11:26 PM    #

2. hehe love the old skool bread bowl!

Jacq    Mar 25, 09:14 AM    #

3. Yeah my cousins make this spinach dip in cob bread with french onion soup packets and you’re right. It does get a little salty. We normally put the cob under a grill to make the bread crispy again too. It’s so dangerous I could eat half to myself. Mmmmm.

Tina @ bitemeshowme    Mar 25, 09:15 AM    #

4. Thanks for the recipe – might give this a go this long weekend :)

Tina@foodboozeshoes    Mar 25, 10:43 AM    #

5. Love it! This is Mr Sticky’s favourite thing to make for a party. He’s so 90s ;) He makes it with french onion soup too but I’ve also had it before with some feta too. And he bake’s the bread in the oven so it goes super crunchy. Drools

Sophie - thestickyandsweet.com    Mar 25, 11:27 AM    #

6. too easy! mm ccreamy fondue dip

Vivian - vxdollface    Mar 25, 11:32 AM    #

7. So old skool! I remember a flat mate of mine made hers with french onion soup mix and bacon. Good times!

Helen (grabyourfork)    Mar 25, 11:51 AM    #

8. ahhh reminds me of the clam chowder bread bowls that i fell in love with in San Fran!! Nice simple recipe – love it :)

catty    Mar 25, 08:38 PM    #

9. Whao – what a blast from the past! YUM!

Miss Piggy    Mar 25, 08:41 PM    #

10. Everything retro is cool again! This dip is such a blast from the past but no one can ever turn away from it. I always end up eating way too much of it!

thesuzchef    Mar 25, 08:54 PM    #

11. This looks insanely tasty! Love anything in a bread bowl too, just looks so hearty

Excuse Me Waiter    Mar 25, 10:45 PM    #

12. Now we need a dessert version. Like… salted caramel in a brioche. No! In an enormous croissant!

Hannah    Mar 26, 02:28 AM    #

13. Water chestnut in the dip is also nice! :) So good!

Kiki    Mar 26, 06:05 PM    #

14. I have a friend who brings this dip to BBQ’s all the time, it is so addictive!

GourmetGetaways    Mar 26, 09:40 PM    #

15. OH! I love this dip. I always used to get jealous of the people who brought dips like this to parties! My mother was more likely to bring the healthy carrot sticks than the dip. ;)

Mary @ beyondjelly    Mar 27, 08:10 AM    #

16. OMG how good is cheesy spinach dip!!! We used to always have it at Mothers group when I was a kid. Although I think that they used to put a French onion soup sachet in there too?

Cass @foodmyfriend    Mar 27, 01:32 PM    #

17. Cheeeeeeese! Dip! Spinach! Combination of a few of my favourite foods :D Hehe, love the novelty of it being in a cob of bread

Sherrie @ Crystal Noir    Mar 27, 09:52 PM    #

18. Yummm I LOVE cob dip, especially that it comes in its own edible bowl :D

Christine @ Cooking Crusade    Mar 28, 11:11 PM    #

19. How retro, love it!

Sara @ Bellly Rumbles    Mar 31, 07:29 PM    #

20. Very rad use of the ol’ cob. I could so do a cheese fondue right now…

Adrian (Food Rehab)    Mar 31, 08:50 PM    #

21. hehe no one can say no to the cobb dip!

muppy    Apr 7, 04:16 PM    #

22. Going for drinks and Nibbles and I’m taking this one hope its a hit!! Haven’t had it for years :)

— Josephine    Aug 17, 03:57 PM    #