Super Easy Brown Sugar Pavlova

11 August 2013, 23:27

I love pavlovas. I mean, who doesn’t?! Crispy sugary sweet edges and gooey marshmallow centre, topped with fruit and enough whipped cream that negates any healthiness from the fruit… Strawberries were strangely ridiculously cheap at the shops so several punnets were procurred. Into the basket they went, along with a tub of cream as I wanted a simple dessert and strawberries & cream is always a winner with me. Ooh or strawberries and ice cream. But then I was in the baking aisle and a packet of brown sugar was calling out to me and so it was decided: brown sugar pav for afternoon tea!

The brown sugar makes the meringue awesome and tastes like caramel! This recipe from Taste is ridiculously easy but it does take a couple of hours to bake and cool. The pav only needs 3 ingredients for the meringue and then it’s up to you to decide what to top it with! Ready? GO!

Ingredients for meringue:
4 egg whites
200g brown sugar
Pinch of cream of tartare
Topping:
Thickened cream
Fruit

Oh and hey guys I’d like you to meet the new love of my life: Ken, my pinkalicious Kenwood Kmix! My old mixer carked it about a month ago and I’ve been making do with the puny muscles in my arm and then the awesome peeps at Kenwood heard my plea and like magic this sexy beast arrived and I can’t wait to show you guys some pink creations in the next coupla months! If there’s anything you’d like to suggest email me :D

Preheat oven to 120C. Whisk the 4 egg whites and a pinch of cream of tartare until soft peaks form. Add the brown sugar a spoonful at a time, whisking until just combined after each spoonful.

After the last of the sugar has been added, continue to whisk for a further 2-3 minutes or until the mixture is very thick and glossy, all the sugar has dissolved and a long trailing peak forms when the whisk is lifted.

Spoon the mixture onto lined baking tray. You can make one normal sized pavlova shape or about 6 mini pavlova nests. Once the tray is in the oven immediately reduce temp to 90°C and bake for 1 and a half hours or until the meringues are crisp and sound hollow when tapped on the base. Turn the oven off, leave oven door ajar and allow the meringues to cool in the oven – this will take 3-4 hours.

Store your meringue in an airtight container (for up to 3 weeks) until you’re ready to eat and then whip up some cream, dollop on top, chuck on some fruit and awaaaay you go!

Oh and just a lil sprinkle of icing sugar can’t go wrong :P

1. Brown sugar pavlovas sound so much shexier than normal ones. lol. And I like the pre-planning on the chef’s special mini pav too.

Helen (grabyourfork)    Aug 11, 11:43 PM    #

2. The first time I had a brown sugar pav was at Bills, best ever! So much yummier than the regular ones. Loving the new pink mixer

Vivian - vxdollface    Aug 12, 01:01 AM    #

3. Your making me hungry! That pavlova looks delicious :D :D

Nessy Eater    Aug 12, 01:07 AM    #

4. Wow this is the most spectacular looking pavlova.I have must try it

cquek    Aug 12, 01:12 AM    #

5. This looks great, and so easy too (my kind of recipe!)

missklicious    Aug 12, 08:13 AM    #

6. Read good things about the KMix! Love your super easy recipes Suze. Keep em coming!

Ramen Raff    Aug 12, 08:15 AM    #

7. such a pretty mixer! I’m all down for your easy recipes.. love the sound of the brown sugar pav. My ones always turn out extra brown .. so perhaps i should just tell people its meant to be that way. hahaha

Tina @ bitemeshowme    Aug 12, 09:33 AM    #

8. Love that you’ve given the girliest mixer in the world a boy’s name!
    The pav looks fantastic, and so easy! Love simple recipes with minimal ingredients!

thesuzchef    Aug 12, 09:48 AM    #

9. You make it look so easy, but I’m sure when I come to make it things won’t run so smoothly!

Austen    Aug 12, 11:27 AM    #

10. that k-mix is looking so swag! pavaolva is a winner to my heart, best of both words in terms of texture!

milkteaxx    Aug 12, 11:52 AM    #

11. Ok this is defs the next thing I’m making. Yum! And ditto I fully stocked up on those cheap strawberries last week!

Eesh    Aug 12, 02:25 PM    #

12. Wow this is gorgeous! Thank you so much for the recipe :)

Jina @ Soy & Ginger    Aug 12, 02:31 PM    #

13. How cute is your new little mixer? The pink is just gorgeous.

Amanda @ Gourmanda    Aug 12, 04:26 PM    #

14. Anyone that says they don’t like a pav are LYING!
    Ive never had much success with meringues sadly, but im going to try this one it looks too good not too :D

Leah    Aug 12, 05:08 PM    #

15. I’ve steered clear from making pavlovas (too scared), but wow I didn’t realise how easy it is to make pavlova! Definitely trying this at home!

Trish    Aug 12, 10:15 PM    #

16. That’s one pretty looking pav! Loving the new mixer too.

Amanda@ChewTown    Aug 12, 10:33 PM    #

17. OMG YOUR KMIX LOOKS SO SUAVE!! :D :D :D
    I love the pink-ness!!

Cassie @ Next Stop: Food    Aug 13, 09:48 PM    #

18. Oh yum, I LOVE pavlova and have always wanted to try a brown sugar version. It’s going on my to-bake list!

Swah    Aug 14, 03:01 PM    #

19. Wow this looks beautiful. Curious on how brown sugar changes it.

Mr.C    Aug 15, 12:37 AM    #

20. Congrats to your new Kmix!!! It’s such a beauty so pretty!!! love it!!! I have a Pink kitchenaid and couldn’t imagine life without it! :)

Ohhh never knew you could make pavlova with brown sugar! gonna have to try!!

Daisy@Nevertoosweet    Aug 15, 01:31 AM    #

21. OMG PINK MIXER!! Love it.. and the pav looks delish. I’ve never heard of a brown sugar version.. mmmm caramel… yum!

theblondetourist    Aug 15, 09:00 PM    #

22. Looks amazing and yummy! I can’t say no to a strawberry dessert :9

Chris @ MAB vs Food    Aug 17, 08:38 PM    #

23. That is a cool little mixer right there. Your Pav looks amazeballs. Perfect for excess egg whites and not to mention Strawberries are the bomb at the moment.

Katherine    Aug 18, 08:28 PM    #

24. I haven’t had pavlova in ages, wouldn’t mind some of that right now!

Mr C @ TheFoodDiary    Aug 18, 08:46 PM    #

25. It looks delicious and so easy to make! Thanks for the recipe Suze.

Jenny @ ilovemyfoodlots    Aug 20, 05:01 PM    #

26. ooo such a pretty pav, and such a sexy mixer!

ironchefshellie    Aug 21, 09:48 PM    #

27. Your pavlova! Aww yia… Spankin’ good looking mixer you have there, I look forwards to more recipes featuring it :)

Kelly @ MsBrulee    Aug 25, 01:37 AM    #

28. Looks amazing, pavlova is one of my favourites!!

On my wedding day I plan on having the biggest pavlova – hopefully it’ll reach guinness world records hehe :) x

Simplicitybysarah    Oct 10, 10:10 AM    #